We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My review of Avon oceanfront home

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
165 reviews
79 helpful votes
My review of Avon oceanfront home

The one thing I really missed when I was making a decision on where to stay in OBX - was a site that gave detailed reviews of rental homes. I ended up renting from Surf or Sound realty and their webpage just gives a 5 star system on a few categories with no option to give detailed comments. So I am going to post comments here.

We stayed at Drifting Dunes at 42205 Greenwood Place in Avon. The location is great. We were oceanfront - only steps away from the beach. We were 1/2 mile from Ace Hardware (we needed another beach umbrella!) and Food Lion which had a great selection of groceries, etc. There were plenty of restaurant choices for us since most of the time we ate our meals at the rental. We went to 4th of July fireworks at the Avon pier - they were really good. We went for daily jogs on the walking/bike path that runs along the main road - NC 12. The beach wasn't crowded so our family could play soccer on the beach or throw a ball without getting in anyone's way. We had a fire on the beach one evening and roasted hot dogs and s'mores - it was easy to get a permit from Surf or Sound for that. We had a few choices of places to use when we decided to rent stand up paddleboards for a few hours on the bay - Ocean Air was a good choice for us. We were easily able to park on the bay side one day and enjoy the beach and shark free bay waters - just south of Avon is a small paved area where you can park for free and relax on the beach. The water is really warm and calm...we walked probably 40 yards out into the bay and at one spot - the water was still only knee deep. It was a good location if you want to try windsurfing too.

I am glad we didn't stay at one of the other smaller beach towns just because it was so convenient to have a Food Lion so close. The drinking water in our rental unit was very poor and we had to run out numerous times just to buy water.

On the first day on the beach our canopy couldn't handle the wind and it folded into itself/broke within 30 minutes of us being on the beach. It was one of those 10 x 10 ft square canopies. We had sand bags to keep it from blowing away, but the wind still collapsed it - the canopy just isn't made well enough to handle the beach wind. So we just bought a regular 9 ft beach umbrella at Ace Hardware and that worked well. We were not the only ones who had a canopy destroyed by the wind - so be warned :)

We spent over $2,600 for the week's rental - for a 4 bedroom ocean front house. We had 8 people in the house so I thought this was a fair price for an ocean front. We rented the house about 3 weeks before leaving for vacation due to a change in our 20 year old daughter's schedule - since Drifting Dunes hadn't been rented as of June - they had discounted our July rental. The one thing to note - is if a house isn't rented - is there a reason why no one wants to rent it during peak season? I would say our rental was just average - especially in terms of value for money. Yes, the location was great, the kitchen was well stocked with dishes and pans, but the house is showing some wear. The furniture was in need of reupholstering or refinishing. The hot tub filter hasn't been changed in a LONG time and so the water was murky. I never used the hot tub. Our kids used the hot tub for a few days, but when the water got murky - they stopped using it. As I mentioned before - the drinking water was very poor. We also had a few other minor maintenance issues with the cable tv not working and the toilet running.

Overall, we enjoyed OBX and would use Surf or Sound realty again, but we wouldn't stay at the same place. For all those looking for a quiet beach vacation - you should give Avon a try - we really did have a good time!

10 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
1. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

Hatteras Realty website gives detailed reviews. We have rented from them 3 times with no problems.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
15,162 posts
3,458 reviews
4,952 helpful votes
2. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

kendrash:

Appreciate your objective review.

We have rented an Atlantic Ocean/Dunes front home in Avon for years.

We prefer Duck and the villages of Hatteras Island to the "congested towns north of Hatteras Island.

Avon has the necessary amenities to recommend it as a holiday destination.

Beach homes do suffer much wear and tear, and we shall not use a property's hot tub.

We greatly dislike the rental practice of picking up bed linen, making beds, and returning the linens.

Overall, folks who like the Outer Banks experience tend to like a dynamic Atlantic Ocean, and the many beach opportunities.

Sláinte

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
82 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

Nice write up! We usually stay in KDH, but will be trying Waves next year for our first family stay on HI. I've camped in Buxton before, but that was long before I had my family. I did also want to say that the sounds are far from shark free! There's nothing keeping them on the Atlantic side of the island and they frequently travel in and out of the sound. Don't mean to scare you, but be aware that they are there.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
139 reviews
57 helpful votes
4. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

When you can reserve an oceanfront house 3 weeks prior to coming in July and they discount it for you I am just scratching my head wondering why.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
15,162 posts
3,458 reviews
4,952 helpful votes
5. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

It seems to us that you review might be posted also in the TripAdvisor Special Lodging Reviews.

Once posted in that site, you will be informing many who are seeking lodging.

Sláinte

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
34 reviews
89 helpful votes
6. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

~~When you can reserve an oceanfront house 3 weeks prior to coming in July and they discount it for you I am just scratching my head wondering why.~~

We actually booked in Waves one year last minute and got a great deal oceanfront. It was discounted as well. Can't remember how much as it was probably 3 years ago but I do recall we stayed a week in August for under $1800. AND there was nothing wrong with the house. It was quite nice and slept 10 people comfortably.

1 post
7. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

Hi, did you use the common pool at Hatteras Club? We are trying to decide between Hatteras Realty and outer beaches realty for a few houses were interested in for August. Hatteras seems to have some bad reviews on yelp, but mixed good reviews here and there. I like that they have the Hatteras club, sounds nice, just want to see if you used it in if you liked the pool and snack bar? Also, I assume your house was in good condition? Thanks for any info.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
165 reviews
79 helpful votes
8. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

We did use the common pool and the tennis courts, but we rented from Surf or Sound...not Hatteras Realty. I rented in 2015 so it might be good to look at some more recent reviews :)

9. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2018, 09:58

High Point, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: My review of Avon oceanfront home

A few points from a long-time Hatteras Island vacationer and now homeowner out there.

"When you can reserve an oceanfront house 3 weeks prior to coming in July and they discount it for you I am just scratching my head wondering why."

For the most part, people plan their summer vacations well in advance. And since oceanfront homes on Hatteras Island go very quickly, it is not uncommon for them to book in the fall of the previous year (I usually book in October for my trip the following July or August). The reality is, there just aren't many people looking for last-minute homes on the island, so it's not uncommon to start discounting them about six weeks out. There are many reasons why a home might be vacant a week during the peak season. I wouldn't assume that it means the house is in poor shape. Somebody may have needed to cancel a reservation, or upgrade or downgrade the size of the house they rented. Or maybe you just get lucky.

As for the questions about pools, there are a few big ones and they are all very nice. One is at Hatteras Realty, and is available to anybody who rents through them. Another is in the Kinnakeet Shores subdivision, and is available to most (not all) people who rent a house in that subdivision. It's up to the owner of the house to purchase the pool/tennis court membership. A third option is at Club Koru. Some houses will have a membership there, and the membership will be extended to the renters. Note that there are different levels of membership - some include access to the pool and some do not, so make sure you check if that's what you're looking for. In my experience, all three pools are well-maintained and clean, and a good option for those who want access to a pool but are renting a house without one.

Reply to: My review of Avon oceanfront home
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted