We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Threadgills

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Threadgills

I see April 6, there is a "merle Haggard " birthday at Threadgills....Anybody familiar with this place on Riverside? How would be the best transportation from the AT&T Hotel?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Threadgills

Place is nice. Music will be outside with limited seating (there are some bleachers and they might put out some folding chairs.) Food is good, full bar inside (you can take them outside) and limited bar outside.

It's walkable: 19 blocks south on Lavaca, 2 blocks east on Caesar Chavez, Over the river (about two blocks worth of walking) on Congress, 1 block west on Barton Spring's Rd and you're there.

Cab wouldn't be too expensive.

I'm sure bus would be inexpensive.

california
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Threadgills

geepers creepers...mapquest said 11 miles?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Threadgills

It is definitely not 11 miles. Google maps says just under 2 miles. Easily walkable if the weather is nice because it's downhill.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Threadgills

I'd walk to Threadgill's if the weather is nice and then take a cab back to the AT&T Conference Center. Limited seating so try to get there early. Merle Haggard show will be very popular.

As MrTed says it's less than 2 miles.

Welcome to Austin!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Threadgills

There are two Threadgill's in Austin...but not even the other would be 11 miles from your hotel. Janis Joplin famously got her career started at the other. The one on Riverside occupies the site of the once very famous Armadillo World Headquarters. My history lesson for the day!

Much too far to walk for me, sorry Octoboy, but an easy cab ride. Downhill in only one direction Mr. Ted!

Edited: 02 April 2012, 15:47
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Threadgills

Well, the OP said "from" the hotel, which is the downhill part of the trip. I wouldn't walk back. :-)

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Threadgills

Touché Mr. Ted...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Threadgills

:)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Threadgills

I'd vote for the short cab ride over what would be a fairly long walk. If you do walk - you might consider going through the capitol grounds and down Congress. It provides a more interesting view of downtown Austin than some of the other routes.

california
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Threadgills

Looking forward....leaving tomorrow....thanks ALL....