We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

Kensington
Level Contributor
336 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

I am trying to decide between two locations. near 43 st. and Duval and Zilker park. Which would you recommend if you are trying to do this without rental car. We will take buses to get to attractions and certain restaurants I have read about.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

Near Zilker Park would be easier without a vehicle.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

Check out the route map at www.capmetro.org.

There's a bus route on Duval St. You can look at the map to see where the closest route through Zilker Park is relative to where you might stay. The map is a beast and takes some time to load.

I don't have much experience with the buses in Austin, personally, and I was clueless trying to figure out the public transportation in SF.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

I agree with both Jodi and Wally. Zilker neighborhood is closer to downtown than Hyde Park, but the bus running on Duval to 43rd street is well used. Lots of UT students live in Hyde Park.

If you enjoy walking, you may prefer Zilker. But I think you're going to need a cab to return to your lodging after a night out. There is a homeless camp very near Lamar and Barton Springs Road where you need to be alert. I don't recommend walking back to the Zilker neighborhood at night.

Welcome to Austin!

Kensington
Level Contributor
336 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

I may give up on the 43 rd and Duvall. I actually am considering one place in Zilker Nd another at St. Mary W and 3rd St S. What do you all ink of the last location in terms of safety and noise and transportation? Thanks for all,the help

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

3rd St. and Mary is an eclectic neighborhood. Some new in fill condos, some bungalows, some in nicer shape than others. Wide range of housing in this pocket. Occasionally some boarded up. Some houses have families and some are multiple people in one house. First Street would be the closest bus.

When you say "we" it makes a difference in some of these locations if you're a couple, two women, two strong fellows well able to take care of themselves?

Perhaps someone on the board will be able to drive by the exact location you're considering and then weigh in?

If you're planning to manage with capitol metro bus, then definitely check the schedule to see your closest stop for the rental house and HOURS that particular bus runs.

Hope this helps?

Kensington
Level Contributor
336 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

We are a couple. I will get on Google st. and see if that helps.

7. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2012, 16:35
8. Re: Staying one week in vacation rental- best location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:42