We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bat watching

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Bat watching

I've been a Bats' Rights advocate for several decades and have long thought of seeing them take flight from the Congress Av bridge. But after driving C Chavez and intersecting streets multile times today looking for parking (street or garage), I've come to the conclusion that the only way to be up close and personal is to either take/rent a "water vehicle", Segway bat tour, stay at a nearby hotel or ... make a very long walk. Am I correct or did I miss a nearby garage or other option?

On another note - stopped in at the rather amazing Whole Foods today! Wish I had that beautiful salad and olive bar available to me at all times. The real treat was when I was leaving, it was pouring rain! What a sight to behold!!! :)

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
789 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bat watching

There are several (paid parking) garages in the area. The one behind Threadgills (at Barton Springs and Riverside), north of the river between Brazos/San Jacinto and Cesar Chavez/2nd. Sorry you missed them this time... that means you'll need to come back!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bat watching

There is a free parking lot and viewing spot specifically for bat viewing adjacent to the Austin Statesman building on the south side of Lady Bird Lake, east of the bridge. Directions and other info can be found here -http://batcon.org/index.php/get-involved/visit-a-bat-location/congress-avenue-bridge/subcategory/51.html

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bat watching

Thanks for locations and directions! Hoping to rearrange plans for early evening. RR ballgame tommorw so that's out. Headed to Elizabeth's this morning and noon Segway at Lavaca, so will definitely check yours recs on the way.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bat watching

I'd appreciate know which Segway company you use and what you thought of the tour?

Thanks,

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bat watching

(BCI is who did a TV special - World of Bats - narrated by Stacy Keach in the early 90's. it peaked my interest and later, I was given a bat house which still hangs on my chimney. Sadly, it's only been home to wasps!! :). )

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bat watching

Yankee! Used (Segway) Nation Tours and loved it, even in this heat! Have nothing for comparison, but would not hesitate to recommend Nation (Elizabeth) nor the 1-1/2 hour tour. It included the capital, downtown to C Chavez/Congress and back to the capital and Nation. Will do full review later in week.

Unfortunately, will miss bats this trip. :(

7. Re: Bat watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 01:21