We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving week: should we spend a few days in Alexandria?

Palatine
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving week: should we spend a few days in Alexandria?

My husband and I are traveling to DC to spend Thanksgiving with our GWU student. We arrive on Nov 20 at night and have a few free days before my daughter is free. I thought it might be fun to stay at a hotel in Alexandria for the first 2 nights. We will be staying with my daughter in the Foggy Bottom area after that,

Other points to consider:

My husband has never been to DC and is open to anything. He loves history and he loves politics.

We have a Capitol tour on Wednesday 11/22 morning.

Budget is approx $150-175 per night.

We don't mind walking.

Please let me know your opinions and ideas.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
3 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving week: should we spend a few days in Alexandria?

I would probably choose to stay in D.C. rather than Alexandria, especially since hotel rates are so cheap for the dates of your visit. You can stay in some really nice D.C. hotels with your budget. If you want to go to Alexandria, it's easy enough to take Metro over there and sightsee during the day and/or go there for dinner.

But, if you decide to stay a couple of nights in Alexandria, make sure that you are actually staying in Old Town Alexandria (or within walking distance of the King Street Metro station). There are many hotels in Alexandria which have "Old Town" in their name but are quite far from Old Town Alexandria (the historical area). Or the Alexandria hotels are so far from a Metro station that you have to take a shuttle from the hotel to the Metro station. Relying on shuttle buses just waste a lot of time.

Feel free to give the names of any Alexandria hotels you are considering and we can tell you if they are in a convenient location.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Old Town
Old Town
2,512 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
593 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving week: should we spend a few days in Alexandria?

Terp:

You asked on the Alexandria board, so I will respond to your request. Alexandria is 8 short miles and a world away from the District of Columbia. We are an extreme pedestrian friendly village with history at virtual every step you take. Our Metro station (King Street) is at the top of our historic district surrounded by hotels to suit your budget and taste. The stretch of King Street from the Metro to our lovely waterfront is 1.3 miles and we have a free shuttle during the day to ferry you up and down if your legs give out from eating and shopping your way through Old Town.

It can be a nice diversion from the hustle and bustle of staying downtown DC. In fact, the pace is like going from 60mph to 10mph when I come home at the end of the day. We have so much revolutionary and civil war history packed into a small vicinity, there is always something for your history buff to love. Getting into and out of the city is a breeze with Metro; and I will add during the Thanksgiving week, parking downtown can actually be more manageable (watch for parking limit zones!!! DC metermaids are the best in the nation!!). As Longhorn mentioned, hotel rates are amazing during the holiday in DC, but I note, they are great in Old Town too! If I was planning a charming get-away, I'd stay in Old Town's historic core (only use zipcode 22314 near King Street - see Marriott's 'The Alexandrian'; Kimpton's Morrison House or Lorien; or try the newest waterfront hotel Indigo. To stay in the core nearest the waterfront along King Street will enhance your stay and I will add, there is so much to enhance decompressing after a day of museum hopping by hanging out in Old Town.

As for staying in DC, I experienced the most amazing Thanksgiving stay-cationing across the river at the Kimpton Monaco. See my review of DC hotels-we staycation a lot! DC hotels along the museum district are extraordinarily priced during the holidays. I note the Willard (a trophy hotel stay) is also well priced during your stay! There is great shopping directly adjacent these two hotels and some of the best restaurants around. Be aware, DC can be funky outside of the museum district and entire blocks can be vacant after hours, so read reviews to be sure it suits your needs.

Consider what you are after in experiencing the area on your visit. Check out visitalexandria.com for more reasons to break your visit with a stay across the river instead.

I hope you find this helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Morrison House...
788 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Palatine
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving week: should we spend a few days in Alexandria?

Thank you for replying and sharing your perspectives. I appreciate your input.

Reply to: Thanksgiving week: should we spend a few days in Alexandria?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted