We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance Capital View vs. Res Inn Alexandria Old Town

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Framingham...
Level Contributor
174 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Renaissance Capital View vs. Res Inn Alexandria Old Town

Trying to decided between these 2 properties. Can anyone advise? We'll be there in the summer months and plan to take the metro to DC on 2 or 3 days.

Pros of Renaissance

- Free shuttle from DCA

- 4 metro stops closer to DC

- $35/nt cheaper

- Free shuttle to Crystal City metro

- Free bike rental

Pros of Residence Inn

- 6 minute walk to King St metro

- Free breakfast

- Convenience to Old Town (we think we can walk from here to everything in Old Town but not sure if this is correct)

- More restaraunt options in walking distance

I think it really boils down to the being dependent on the shuttle to get back and forth to the metro. But in the heat of summer, maybe the shuttle is a good choice.

Curious to what folks would recommend.

Thanks!

Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renaissance Capital View vs. Res Inn Alexandria Old Town

Which did you wind up choosing? Were you happy? I'd love to hear your exxperience as we have the same question. Thanks

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renaissance Capital View vs. Res Inn Alexandria Old Town

Most definitely the Renaissance Arlington Capital View. I stayed there this past summer, and it was the BEST hotel experience I have stayed in (despite the fact that I routinely select Marriott& Renaissance hotels).

I personally did not use their DCA shuttle, but I noticed that it runs very frequently (from my observations, at most every 20 min- often times less than that).

The free shuttle is VERY reliable. We completely depended on it for the entire week, and they always promptly dropped us off at Crystal City Metro AND picked us up (yes, they do pick you up). They are very prompt- at most every 20 min, often times less than that. From Tues- Thurs/ Fri, I noticed that the shuttle came around maybe every 10 min, not a long wait at all. You can easily take the hotel shuttle to Crystal City Metro and then navigate your way into downtown DC. (very convenient)

You can easily take the DC Metro from Crystal City Metro to King Street Metro (blue or yellow line, I think) to get to Old Town. Although there are not that many restaurants within 1-2 blocks from the Renaissance, you can easily take the hotel shuttle to 23rd& Crystal Drive. The shuttle driver was so kind that he stopped right in front of our restaurant to drop us off.

The shuttle is SUPER reliable. So, you don't have to worry about that part. You really cannot go wrong with the Renaissance Arlington Capital View. It is such a new, nice, luxurious hotel that opened a FEW MONTHS ago. Super friendly, professional, and helpful staff!!!! Excellent customer service!!!! Super large and spacious rooms and terrific amenities!!!! The Socci restaurant onsite is ACTUALLY good (not your typical average hotel restaurant). Hope this helps.

Edited: 03 September 2011, 20:22
3. Re: Renaissance Capital View vs. Res Inn Alexandria Old Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 03:18