We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Ise or Toba

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Ise or Toba

Hello, we have about 1.5 day and 2 nights at the area. Originally we wanted to stay at Ise and then rent a car to visit Ise Shima National Park. However, we realized the park is pretty big, maybe we stretch ourselves a bit thin in 1.5 day? This is our first time in Japan, we will visit Kyoto and Naoshima, and then Ise area. Maybe Ise is a bit similar to Kyoto old town? We want something different.

If we stay inside of Ise, then we would visit the shrine, the market after we arrive, then the next day rent a car to explore the park, and climb to the top to see the view of the islands. If we stay at Toba, then we have to take the train back to Ise to visit the town, then back to Toba, or store our luggage at Ise train station. Toba is just sea view, not particular, so we don't care that much. but I like to see view of many small islands from atop. What do you think, expert?

9 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

Toba = marine resort

Ise = temple town

Both have accommodation options

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

thanks. I don't really care much about Marine resort. if I stay at Ise, is it easy to rent a car and get to visit Ise Shima Park? I really like to see the view of the islands from the top of the hill.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

Actually, Shima is the other main area, or Ise Shima. I was in Toba last week. Ise Jingu is the emperor's special shrine, so lots of things surrounding that, but Ise itself is just a regular town. The places to see the islands from the top of hill, at least the one we went to, are in Shima.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

so what do you recommend to stay? At Shima? or Ise? We only have two nights at the area, so we'd like to stay at a place that is time sufficient for trains, and for sightseeing.

what's the two places to see the island view from atop?

is there luggage storage at Ise train station? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

To cut down too much travelling back and forth staying in Ise is better. There are coin lockers in both the JR Iseshi station and the Kintetsu Iseshi station, but if you are staying overnight in Ise you can just leave your luggage in the hotel to be picked up later. And if you are driving you can leave it in the car.

One of the hilltop viewpoints is Yokoyama Observation Deck further down south in the Shima Peninsula.

…env.go.jp/nature/…index3.html

www.kanko-shima.com/html/search_det.php…

Japan
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

I've stayed in Toba when I visit as there are quite a few things that we do in the town, and the hotels we pick are nice. In fact our first trip to the area Toba was the destination and the Grand Shrine was the add-on. The trip back to Ise doesn't take long.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

how long? did you take the train?

Japan
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

Yes, train - not long (I'd have to look it up - 15 minutes - I checked). But we had the whole day so it was not too time critical.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Ise or Toba

Agreed that Toba would be a good place to say. Enough things to do there, plus add a day trip to shrine area. You could also take a day trip to Shima (opposite direction of shrine), which is where the G7 world leader summit was held last year.

Reply to: Stay in Ise or Toba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ise