We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ise travel help please

honolulu
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ise travel help please

I need help! I want to travel to Ise and visit Gegu and Naigu... the inner and outer Ise shrines. I would also like to spend some leisurely time browsing around Oharai Machi and Okage Yokocho. This brings me to my first question. Is Oharai Machi and Okage Yokocho the same thing? If not, are they close to each other?

I plan to travel to Ise early one morning... stay at an onsen... and then travel out the next day. So. basically, I sort of have 2 days. One before the onsen 3-4 hours ... and one after the onsen. approx. 5 hours. Here is where I need help. I need help deciding what should I do on my first day before the onsen... and then my second day after the onsen. I mentioned on the forum earlier that I would LOVE to have a guide walking me through the Ise shrine but it seems like there aren't any. With that understanding, I don't think I would spend too much time there as I don't think I'll be able to fully grasp all the beauty of the shrine without someone to bounce questions off of and probably want to spend more time browsing and shopping Oharai Machi. How far is it from the inner to the outer shrine and to the shopping area? I also wanted to get a glimpse of the wedding rocks if possible.

Am I expecting too much in 2 days? Please advise me. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

12 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,687 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ise travel help please

There are similar sites in Japan but the Meotoiwa (Wedded Rocks) seem to be very popular. If you are taking the CAN bus it is worth a photo stop as it is one of the enroute stops. It is just a short walk from the aquarium of Futami Sea Paradise. While you are there also worth a look are the frog sculptures in the small yet interesting Futami Okitama-jinja.

japan-web-magazine.com/en/mie/futami-okitama…

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
499 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ise travel help please

One big consideration for you in Ise will be the weather. That's my main thought :)

I don't want to recommend any specific onsen ryokans, since there are plenty and I prefer those at some distance from Ise... which could mean more complex transport logistics than you want travelling alone and using only public transport. Can't comment on ryokans you picked up, have not used them.

Aquarium next to Meoto-Iwa wedded rocks..

... is miserable. "Sea paradise" sounds like some mockery in this case, I've seen one with a lot happier animals in aquariums in different parts of Japan... And it is a shame that ugly aquarium and shopping mall weary building is blocking a beautiful ocean view from the road.

For goodwill guide, good luck with that. It will be difficult to engage a goodwill guide to help you with overall planning ahead of time... there is only so much you can ask of local volunteers.

Edited: 03 February 2016, 20:02
Reply to: Ise travel help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ise