We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Sorry - not dissimilar to some other topics but I am just confusing myself trying to work through the pinned thread as things seem to change and a number of posts I think are written from a US perspective.

A few questions:

1. We fly in to IGU (Brazil) arriving 18:40 (end October) but are staying in the Sheraton on the Argentinian side - my assumption is that we will be too late to see the panoramic Brazilian side that evening so should go straight to the hotel?

2. Understanding is that we should be able to easily get a regulated cab at IGU that will take us across the border to our hotel? Anyone done the trip recently that can advise approximate cost?

3. Are the cabs metered or do we agree fare before?

4. As a UK citizen my understanding is that we need nothing more than passports to cross, is that correct? Should we expect to have to pay any fees or taxes etc? If so, how much?

5. My understanding is that this is quite a 'normal' taxi request and that taxis will wait as we complete cross border checks? What exactly are the checks - do we leave the cab to complete these? How long does this take?

6. Even though we are staying in the park, will we need to pay a park entrance fee on arrival?

Any other tips gratefully received! We were quoted USD150 by our hotel for a transfer which seemed steep. Would rather not line their pockets unnecessarily! That said, would be happy to shell out if it means a less anxious journey!

Thanks in advance.

Chris

21 replies to this topic
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Bom dia Chris,

The Parks will be closed when you arrive so it is best to take a taxi to the Sheraton. The taxis will be lined up just outside the airport exit doors. You can ask at the taxi help desk in the airport for a quote or just go to a taxi and ride. Ask the taxi to stop at the BR border and he/she will help with getting your passport stamped. (Have to go inside the small office on BR side. There are drive through on AR side and never have to get out and taxi will help also).

The costs is around $30 USD to the Sheraton. BR taxis accept Reals (BR money, CC's and U$D) There is no fee to cross into AR for an UK citizen(s).

When you get to the entrance of the AR park the security will call the Sheraton for the shuttle to come for you, you will need your reservation #. (No private vehicles allowed in the Park(s). Entrance will be included in you room price for the Sheraton.

BR taxis are metered, but with U$D some will give you a flat rate.

Enjoy,

Marty

Edited: 06 October 2017, 06:22
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Thanks very much for the response - very much appreciated. Sounds like The Sheraton shuttle service is a bit of a rip off, in that case!!

And I'm taking it from your reply that UK citizens don't require to do anything in advance of the journey (e.g.arrange visas, entry/exit cards etc)? Just a straight forward border control process?

Thanks again

Chris

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

The shuttle is free. It is the only private vehicle allowed. I have not been to the AR Park in a few moths but it works the same on the BR side, All national parks in Brazil limit vehicles.

All you need is your passport to enter AR. There is no Visa or reciprocation fee for UK passport holders. Very easy.

As stated you need to stop at the BR immigrations at the border. This is to show proof of exit and if re-entering stopping again for re-entry in order to validate your passport if flying out of BR. Anytime you cross borders the procedure is the same in most of the world.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Brilliant thanks.

Sorry - terminology difference - the shuttle I meant was the $150 one I was quoted for an airport pickup by the hotel! The $30 taxi seems much more sensible.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Chris

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Got it! Many hotels, especially AR side, are private transportation. Hotel gets a cut of the price.

Arriving from IGU you take a taxi at the airport. The hotel arrangement must include the cost to drive from AR to BR and return. I see know need for such. Petro is less expensive on the AR side due to Gov subsiding, but $150, was that AR pesos? If so cheap. If U$D no way. I would come to the hotel and drive you to the Sheraton all day for $150 USD!!

Enjoy. Since staying within the National Park you will be able to enjoy the falls' sounds and a clear night see some from the hotel. If you want to venture out for more dining option in downtown Puerto Iguazu it will only be about 15 KM to downtown.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

It was USD150! I thought that sounded very expensive!

Thanks for all your help. Really looking forward to our visit.

Regards

Chris

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Enjoy Chris. October is feeling like the beginning of summer. (It has come in with a roar. On the 1st 75% of the electricity was knocked out by a storm) It is getting warm and being in the sub-tropical region it is humid.

Try the boat ride on the AR side (will get soaked) you go under one of the falls also.

Bring some bug repellant. All the rain has the mosquitoes out. They have less selection here but can buy at local mercados.

Edited: 06 October 2017, 12:04
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Thanks - good tips, much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Hi,

Me and wife will be staying on the Brazilian side and visiting Argentinian side for a day. My questions are these:

1. Do we need two Brazilian border control passport stamps and two Argentinian passport stamps {out/in) ?

2. Do any taxis from Argentinian side travelling to Brazil accept Brazilian Reals or if not can one pay by UK credit card?

3. I understand that we need cash for Argentinian side. Is it safe to rely on getting Argentinian money at the Argentinian entrance ATM ?

Thank you

Roman

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Hi Roman,

Yes you will need your passport stamped in and out of both BR and AR. BR you will go inside the small immigration office exiting and returning. AR side have drive up windows and do not need to get out. The Taxi drivers will help you.

Yes AR taxis will accept Pesos, reals, U$D and a few take CC.

No do not rely on the ATM at the AR park or many in AR. (The machines always runs out of pesos and refilling is whenever they have the time.

The entry fee into AR side is $500 AR pesos pp. Depending on where you are lodging, there are "cambios" exchanges, hotels and banks in downtown city Foz. The BR airport also has an exchange. Banks, hotel and the airports give you a few cents less on the exchange rates and banks have short hours here. 10-12 and 1-4 except Sat when it is 9-12. Now there ATMs are assessable and try to find one with you service. Always use an ATM inside a bank or supermarket.

Again a taxi can help you find an exchange.

Enjoy your travels,

Marty

Reply to: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu