We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Sorry - not dissimilar to some other topics but I am just confusing myself trying to work through the pinned thread as things seem to change and a number of posts I think are written from a US perspective.

A few questions:

1. We fly in to IGU (Brazil) arriving 18:40 (end October) but are staying in the Sheraton on the Argentinian side - my assumption is that we will be too late to see the panoramic Brazilian side that evening so should go straight to the hotel?

2. Understanding is that we should be able to easily get a regulated cab at IGU that will take us across the border to our hotel? Anyone done the trip recently that can advise approximate cost?

3. Are the cabs metered or do we agree fare before?

4. As a UK citizen my understanding is that we need nothing more than passports to cross, is that correct? Should we expect to have to pay any fees or taxes etc? If so, how much?

5. My understanding is that this is quite a 'normal' taxi request and that taxis will wait as we complete cross border checks? What exactly are the checks - do we leave the cab to complete these? How long does this take?

6. Even though we are staying in the park, will we need to pay a park entrance fee on arrival?

Any other tips gratefully received! We were quoted USD150 by our hotel for a transfer which seemed steep. Would rather not line their pockets unnecessarily! That said, would be happy to shell out if it means a less anxious journey!

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Cataratas Airport
Cataratas Airport
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Bogari Hotel
Bogari Hotel
#2 of 82 hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Del Rey Hotel
Del Rey Hotel
#3 of 82 hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Vivaz Cataratas Hotel Resort
Vivaz Cataratas Hotel Resort
#4 of 82 hotels in Foz do Iguacu
21 replies to this topic
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Thank you Marty for your helpful reply.

I think I shall purchase the minimum amount of pesos to get two tickets to AR side here in the UK - just to be on the safe side. Also I may get better rate for my £ here then in BR bank

We shall be staying for three nights at San Martin Resort & Spa on B&B basis. I believe it is near the entrance to the Brazilian park but some distance from Foz do Iguaçu centre where most of the restaurants and banks will be.

Do you know by any chance if there is a local bus stop near the hotel?

Best regards

Roman

Mentioned in this post
San Martin Resort & Spa
San Martin Resort & Spa
1,751 Reviews
Foz do Iguacu, PR
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

I believe that it is wise exchanging $$ before you come. Saves time and a few cents on the Pound. Anywhere else in AR will take Reals, USD and pesos.

Yes there is and a bus stop next to the hotel and the entrance to the Park which goes to centro Foz. San Martin is very close to the park and not far to the BR airport. Look for the bus marked "downtown or centro". If you see some place that looks interesting you just pull the cord and the bus will stop at the next stop. It travel all the way on Cataracts Av, and JK Av, to the local bus station on the north end of downtown.

Foz is much larger than Puerto Iguazu and as such has many dining options. AR has great places also in their centro district.

Enjoy

Marty

Mentioned in this post
San Martin Resort & Spa
San Martin Resort & Spa
1,751 Reviews
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Puerto Iguazu
Puerto Iguazu
Province of Misiones, Argentina
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Hi Marty,

Thanks again for your help

Best regards

Roman

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

if I may I have extra questions about travel between Brazilian and Argentinian entries to iguacu parks :

- Is taxi metered and if yes do they keep meter running while sorting out entry from/to Brazilian side?

- What would be approx cost of one way taxi from our hotel and the same back in Brazilian Reals?

- I presume only cash will do?

- I take it it would be fairly complicated and time consuming to try to use public buses and may not save much when two people are travelling?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Best

Roman

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

It does but it does not take too much time and the driver with help with immigrations, From hotel to AR falls is about $R90 reals. It may be less return due to an AR taxi will bring you back and the exchange rate in AR is better.

BR taxis will take CC's. Not many AR taxis do. But some will. BR has 2 major taxi companies. Sindtaxi and Coopertaxi. Both of these take CC as well as cash.

As said buses are cheap but time and changing buses does take time especially when al have to go thru immigrations at the same time. You would be fine on a bus from BR hotel to downtown Foz and back but crossing the border immigrations and bus change in AR and AR to Br bus change are time consuming.

Anything further do not hesitate to let me know.

Finally after 3 days of rain it is sunny and nice today. So I will need to be outside for yard work and of course Churrasco (BBQ) but will check later tonight.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Just for anyone looking in on this with a similar query, we arrived in IGU and went to the desk to order a cab. The guy told us just to go out and hail one from the queue but then allowed us to pay him by card as the cabs don't accept card. He spoke no English so it was a slight struggle and the taxi driver spoke little more. I think we ended up paying BRL180 from memory but my impression was that he had misunderstood our destination as the IGR airport on the Argentinian side rather than the hotel (handily the Sheraton has been rebranded as the Melia between our booking and our arrival which the booking website never informed us of which I imagine complicated matters!) Our driver was very friendly albeit we could not understand one another too well. When you get to the border, he parked up and took us into the cabin where we just had to show passports and get them stamped - a two second process (no payments or visas etc as a UZ citizen) - he waited as we did this and we them just had to show passports at a booth out of the car window as we entered Argentina. Very simple as noted above.

Our arrival at the hotel was a little less simple as we got to the road that leads to the hotel, we were stopped at the booth who asked to see our park tickets which, of course, we did not have - I was under the impression that that was included in our (not insignificant) hotel bill. Not so though and, of course, we couldn't pay by card so, fortunately at the wee bus depot just by the booth there was an ATM where we got cash be duly paid (c£20 each) for the privilege of completing our journey up to the hotel.

Just something to be aware of for anyone who is repeating our journey!

Mentioned in this post
Cataratas Airport
Cataratas Airport
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Kman where did you pay your entrance tickets before getting to the Melia (Old Sheraton)? I am asking because I will arrive late at the hotel (after midnight). I have Argentinian pesos my only concern is where can I pay the entrance fee for the park.

Thanks

Miki

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Arriving late you will just go to hotel and when park opens you can pay then, You may ask the hotel while checking-in. Not sure if they have tickets there, but worth a shot.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Thanks Marty for your reply.

Also the hotel answered to my email saying that taxi driver can drive directly to the hotel. They did not say anything about selling tickets. I will find out when I get there.

Miki

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens

Being that the National Park is run by AR, I thought the hotel would not have tickets, but I never stayed at the old Sheraton. Glad to hear AR will allow taxis to the hotel. BR does not allow private vehicles and the hotel sends it's shuttle for you at the entrance.

Enjoy

Marty

Reply to: IGU (Brazil) to Sheraton (Argentinian side) for UK citizens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted