We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

We land at IGU at 3.15 in the afternoon and do not leave until 7.30pm (the same day) - will we have time to take a quick taxi trip out of the falls and back to the airport ?

5 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,569 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

The park closes at 5 p.m., so you'll have to move quickly by taxi.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

Hi Janet,

Yes! The Brazilian airport is less than fifteen minutes taxi ride from the gates of the Brazilian national park. (You do not have time to see the Argentine national park from the Brazilian airport IGU. If you were landing in Argentina, IGR, there isn't enough time to go to Brazil.

Where are you flying from into Foz do Iguaçu? If it's from another country, you'll need to check your luggage through Brazilian customs, then deposit the luggage on your onward flight (or even worse, carry it around with you). You already know, I'm sure, that if you are an Australian passport holder, you require a special, expensive Brazilian visa to enter the country.

Assuming you have solved these border and luggage issues, hail a taxi at the airport and go straight to the national park. You should have an hour to see the falls, and that's enough time to walk up to the grand falls and get back.

The gates close to new arrivals at five, but guests are not kicked out. When you're done, get a taxi at the Cataratas Hotel, which is inside the national park. They can also help you call one is none is on hand. At this time of year, daylight lasts until 7:30 p.m. in Brazilian Iguasu Falls.

We very much enjoy this sort of mini-vacation, a couple of hours sightseeing instead of sitting around for 4 or 5 hours in an airport.

Here's a tip. On such a jaunt, I wear a money belt for our passports and vital papers. This is the most secure place. It spares me from the disastrous consequences of a purse-snatching or a stick-up or, much more likely, misplacing my wallet or dropping something into the Iguasu gorge. Ordinarily when traveling, I don't like a money belt. During this sort of mini-vacation, though, you won't have time to react if you lose your passports. You'd be stranded.

David

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

A further p.s., Janet.

Southern Brazil, including Parana state, is on Daylight Saving Time now, but Argentina is not. When it is 5 p.m. in Brazil, it is 4 p.m. in Argentina. This is important if you were coming from Argentina or landing there.

Be mindful of the time difference. If you flew from Argentina and landed at 3:30 p.m. Argentine time at IGU, it's actually 4:30 in Brazil and you're likely too late to go to the falls.

David

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

Thank you so much for your answer - we are leaving a cruise am and flying out of Sao Paulo . We are travelling on British passports so no visa issues. We thought we would hightail out of the airport to a taxi and take our luggage with us rather than check into the next flight. With a check in when we get back from the falls. Is it possible to have the same taxi wait for us and take us back ?

Edited: 21 October 2017, 20:33
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls

Janet,

It will be a very short look. I would suggest using the lockers at the airport. It will take a little time to go upstairs to the coffee shop to rent the locker, but instead of lugging it to the Falls (you can use their lockers) your bags will be at the airport.

SP flights are normally full so waiting on luggage will also take a little time.

So arriving at 3:15 and 20-30 minutes for luggage and locker, 15 minute drive to falls and small line to pay and enter puts you at the Falls for maybe 1 hour. I would do the lower trail then the elevator up to the patio and overview. Many place to view and take pictures.

Is your departure flight a domestic or domestic international or he Foz to Lima?

Domestic International connection and the Lima flight may take time to check-in and clear security.

No the taxi will not wait unless you agree to a set price for the wait. There will be taxis at the Falls.

This may be the shortest trip I have helped with, but I bet some have do it.

Let me know if other questions,

Marty

Reply to: Short stay in IGU - can we see the falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu