We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Itaipu Dam

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
938 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Itaipu Dam

I would like to visit the Itaipu Dam on Dec.8th, with the limitation that my friend's plane leaves the Foz do Iguacu International Airport at 3:10 pm. We will be staying at a downtown hotel that is close to McDonalds. Apparently I can pre-book the special circuit tour at the visitor's center for 8:30 am. We can take the public transit to get to the visitors center for about 7:45 am. I'm wondering if I can get a taxi from the Visitor's Center at about 11:30 am to take us back to our hotel (close to Mcdonalds) to get our bags and then to the airport. My friend is flying Azul. My Questions are as follows:

1. Would 8:00 am to 11:30 am be enough time to see the Special Circuit tour (2.5 hours) ?

2. Could we pre-book the taxi? What company would you recommend? Is there a taxi stand at the Itaipu Dam Visitor's Center?

3. How early should we get to the airport?

Thanks

Chris

3 replies to this topic
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Itaipu Dam

Bom dia Chris,

The tour is 2.5 hours with first tour at 8:30 AM. There is a special bus to Itaipu leaving from the downtown "Urbano" terminal. You would need to go from hotel to terminal and then catch the bus. I am not sure the time table for the bus.

Easy way is take a taxi direct to the Visitor center but tickets and take the tour. They have English, Spanish and Portuguese guides. The Dam is on the far North end of Foz.

After tour you should find taxis to return to the hotel.

As to flying out. If and international connection I would be at the airport 2.5 hours before departure. If a domestic flight with and stay inside Brazil 2 hours before departure would be fine.

It is a nice tour. Hope you enjoy.

Marty

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
938 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Itaipu Dam

Thanks for the information. Can I pre-order the taxi from the hotel to the visitor's center? Do you have any recommendations for the taxi company?

Chris

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Itaipu Dam

You can have the hotel call one for you. Depending where the hotel is there are taxis at most hotels waiting or close.

There are 2 major taxi companies. Coopertaxi and Sindtaxi and many smaller taxi companies.

Enjoy the tour. You go to and overlook then inside (control room and all) and then a drive over and to the spillway and bottom of the dam. Half is operated by Paraguay and half Brazil.

Reply to: Visit to Itaipu Dam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu