We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

I’ll be staying in São Paulo for 2 weeks this month. I’ll be staying with a local family.

I’m thinking of flying to see Iguassu Falls (both sides) but I will be by myself. (I’m a 40-something year old female.) Should I be concerned about traveling alone?

Some questions I have:

1) I haven’t booked a flight yet but I’ll be coming from CGH. (My return flight home to the US is out of GRU.) So I’m planning on purchasing one-way tickets. To get to the falls: CGH-IGU. Then from IGU-GRU to catch my evening flight home. Make sense?

2) My tentative plan is to fly to the falls on Sunday morning & spend that evening looking at the falls from the BR side.

3) Is it ok to cross the border (via taxi) in the evening so that I can stay on the AR side and explore the falls first thing in the morning? Or should I stay on the BR side & cross the border in the morning to visit the falls on the AR side?

4) Then cross the border in the afternoon to catch an afternoon flight out of BR so I can then arrive in GRU to catch my evening flight home?

Does this plan sound doable? I can also fly in to the falls on Saturday, if necessary. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to see the falls but I keep wondering if it’s actually worth the extra $500+ USD it’s going to cost. Thanks for any help you can give!

6 replies to this topic
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,569 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

Amber. Your flights are fine. Remember the parks close at 5 PM .

My main concern is doing AR and having a flight back from BR. The lines at the Argentine immigrations can be very long especially on the weekends. Sometimes 3 hours.

You will be fine solo.

Your arrival time in BR? If morning or around noon you may want t do AR first. I am a believer of staying and being on the side you depart on the departure due to immigrations (remember to stop at the BR immigration, go inside their office for the re-entry stamp. You need it to fly out of IGU.)

I will be flying out of Foz today and unavailable for days. Other questions I hope can be made by others.

This short of visit use taxis. Faster

It is chilly here so be prepare.

Marty

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

Thanks for your advice! I don’t have my flights booked yet, so I’ll try to get to BR as early as possible and visit the AR side that day and the BR side the day of departure. I was hoping you’d have advice for me because I’ve read a lot of the advice you’ve given to other travelers. Thanks again! Safe travels to you.

Petropolis, RJ
Level Contributor
684 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

As already said, the parks are not open in the evenings. If it is going to be a full moon evening, they have special closed tours. I made one of this and ot was awesome!!! Reservation is required.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 03:14
2 posts
4. Re: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

Where did you make the special reservation for a night tour?

Petropolis, RJ
Level Contributor
684 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

At Loumar Turismo

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
1 review
6. Re: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)

Welcome,

" I’ll be staying in São Paulo for 2 weeks this month. I’ll be staying with a local family."

congrats.

"I’m thinking of flying to see Iguassu Falls (both sides) but I will be by myself. (I’m a 40-something year old female.) Should I be concerned about traveling alone?"

Many solo travelers see the falls. There are also older solo females that see the falls too. as far as i know they do not sacrifice any 40-something females - yet.

"Some questions I have:

1) I haven’t booked a flight yet but I’ll be coming from CGH. (My return flight home to the US is out of GRU.) So I’m planning on purchasing one-way tickets. To get to the falls: CGH-IGU. Then from IGU-GRU to catch my evening flight home. Make sense?"

yup.

"2) My tentative plan is to fly to the falls on Sunday morning & spend that evening looking at the falls from the BR side."

ok

"3) Is it ok to cross the border (via taxi) in the evening so that I can stay on the AR side and explore the falls first thing in the morning? Or should I stay on the BR side & cross the border in the morning to visit the falls on the AR side?"

i like to stay on the side where i will spend the most time or where there is an early flight out. But depneding on when your crossing is, it could get busy. But someome mention that taxis get priority.

"4) Then cross the border in the afternoon to catch an afternoon flight out of BR so I can then arrive in GRU to catch my evening flight home?"

ok

"Does this plan sound doable? I can also fly in to the falls on Saturday, if necessary. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to see the falls but I keep wondering if it’s actually worth the extra $500+ USD it’s going to cost. Thanks for any help you can give!"

thats the million dollar question as to if things are worth it. Its up to you. Maybe in 10 years you will be glad you did at 500 bucks (now) where as if you look 10 years out, it may cost you 10x that much.

ask yourself, how much will it cost you in time & money to just go to the falls from home? Then see how much that 500 bucks looks like then.

Why are you going anyway? just because so and so told you to? Be your own self. make you own decisions, for good or bad.

good luck.

Reply to: Itinerary advice for visiting the falls (both sides)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted