We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls

Hi everyone,

I would like to visit Iguazu Falls one day. I don't want to visit the falls during the dry season, however as a photographer, I wouldn't want to visit the falls when there's too much mist from over-gushing water flows either. Therefore, which would be the best month(s) to visit the falls when there's significant water flow yet being clearly (or mostly) visible without too much mists?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,880 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls

Best time is in our summer Dec through March. Now we are sub-tropical and afternoon rains move through.

Difficult to predict flow and mist since if it rains up east it flows into the Falls may be strong even if little rain.

You really need the mist in order to capture the rainbow(s) for the photos. Unless very low flow over the falls, you will always see the "red clay" water from all the farm lands up river(s). It is natural just as 273 water falls in a smallish area will generate mist.

November is a good month. spring has come and weather comfortable.

I write this, but last 2 Decembers we have had more rain days than sunny dry.

Also Dec thru Feb if holiday season, Christmas and Carnaval kids are out of school, everyone booking beach vacations or coming to the falls.

In June this year was rather cool, but August and Sept are the coldest here.

The answer: Warm and even hot weather come in summer time. July thru Sept cool to chilly nights and some sunny days come in Winter.

6 posts
2. Re: Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls

Hi Natlim! At around September the rain starts, so the falls aren't usually too dry nor too full of water and mist. But remember that sometimes the weather go crazy and you aren't able to predict eveything. Yet, the Iguassu Falls are amazing and full of energy every time of the year!! <3

If you like another tip, I always recommend my friends to travel by bus in Brazil: https://bit.ly/1VQL9U4 specially if you wants to save some money :)

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,485 posts
401 reviews
3. Re: Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls

Sincerely I prefer September because the weather is much better than in December but if you want to see the power of the falls December is clearly a much better month but with a higher risk of rains and cloudy weather. It rained for 2 days while I was at the falls last December and I had to cancel lots of activities.

I did not find September cold since the weather was sunny during all my stay at the falls,

Miki

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls

welcome,

If all you are going to give Iguazu is 1 day, then you take what you can get.

You wont get any guarantees when it comes to weather related things, all you can do is plan, reserach and hope for the best.

When i was there in a September, the locals said that it was dry and the water low up till my arrival and then it rained up river. That day i choose to see it, it was misty and more water offer the falls. Still impressive with the mist too.

so plan all you want and hope for the best.

Edited: 31 July 2018, 11:53
Reply to: Best month(s) to visit Iguazu Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu