We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

10 posts
One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

Hi!

We will arrive at the Foz do Iguacu airport at 10:30AM. We'd definitely like to see the Parque das Aves which is near the airport. I think we can spend 3 hours in the bird park, so we would finish at max 3:00PM.

Is there any bus which we can catch near Parque das Aves which could take us to the Brazilian side of the falls? I can see there is a road to the Belmond Hotel. Is it a good idea to catch a bus and check the Brazilian side on that afternoon before it gets too dark?

On Day2 we'd like to explore the Argentinian side. Is it a better idea to stay in Puerto Iguazú instead of Foz do Iguacu?

On Day2 we'd also like to have a speedboat ride on the Argentinian side. Is it possible to buy a ticket for a speedboat ride there, or is the only option to book a full tour through an agency?

On the end of Day2 is it a better idea to stay in Puerto Iguazú or go back to the Brazilian side instead? Next morning we have a flight at 10:00AM.

7 replies to this topic
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

Zsolt,

Welcome. The bird park is just outside the entrance to the BR Falls. No bus is really needed. It is about 100 meters from the fall's entrance. Both the bird park and falls are near the airport.

Now you did not say anything as to luggage. If you have luggage you have 2 choices:

1. Use the lockers at the airport. Need to go upstairs to the coffee shop to rent and the lockers are just outside the door of the airport. (located on the level where tour buses park.

2. You can use lockers at the Falls. Now the bird park does not have lockers and you really do not want to carry luggage in the bird park.

I would go to the Falls first and explore the trails, then to the bird park. Falls with boat ride to the edge of the falls (you get soaked, but fun) is about 3 to 4 hours at a slow pace.

There is a bus that is near the entrance of the falls which will go to "centro" (downtown). If you are lodging along the main highway look for hotel and pull the cord to have the bus stop at the next bus stop. Taxis are reasonable and you do not have the carry luggage onto the bus.

You are pressed for time and we never know how long the Argentina Immigration line will be. So I recommend lodging on the BR side and day 2 just go to AR and return to the BR hotel. That way you should have time to make your flight. (Be sure to get to the airport 2 hours before flight (international) or 1.5 hours (domestic)

If you use the lockers at the airport it is best to take a taxi to swing by and pick up luggage, then to hotel.

Edited: 11 July 2018, 13:21
10 posts
2. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

Thanks for your comment. Staying on the BR side on Day2 sounds reasonable.

However, on Day1, I'm not sure if we can do both the bird park and the 3-4 hour long boat trip which you suggested.

We arrive at 10:30AM, so we have ~5-6 hours, because Parque das Aves and the Falls both close at 5PM.

On the map I can see a 11km long road from Parque das Aves to the falls. This is for cars, I guess?

Isn't there a bus service from Parque das Aves to the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas?

I'm thinking about this, because if we don't spend too much time with getting there then we could check out the Falls after the bird park.

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

The Falls does close the gates at 5 but they allow parties already inside more time.

The Bird park www.parquedasaves.com.br/pt/informacoes.html is across from the helo pad.

No private vehicles are allowed within the Falls. You go to the entrance/parking area and buses run from the parking/entrance to the Falls. (The road you see within the park is the National Park There is a trail next to the Belmond to get off or continue to the upper trail.

If staying at the Belmond, you give your reservations to security and they call Belmond for their shuttle.

cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/cataratas-do-iguacu…

You can do the Bird Park first then Falls with no problem

Enjoy.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
4. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

Rather than start a new thread, I'm hoping to tap info from the experts here. I'm doing a 7 day jaguar trip in October and it looks like you can fly from GRU to Iguazu fairly cheaply. 99% of the reason I'd be going is to see the Falls. So how much time should I allow before flying back to GRU? Is it a day trip, day and a half, two days? Are there other day to 2 day trips that I should take within Brazil? My idea is to use one of GRU airport hotels as a base rather than going into the city. I'm from the US and haven't purchased my plane tix to GRU yet but need to soon. Your thoughts on Iguazu and other places will help me big time. Thanks in advance.

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

Ola Ricky,

The BR sie of the falls can be seen in 3 hours. Open 9-5. If you want to do the hiking trail(s) it take a little longer.

cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/cataratas-do-iguacu…

There ia a bird park near the Falls, The IGU airport is very close to the Falls.

It can be done if you arrive early from SP in one day, but you will be rushed. 1 and a half day is fine.

There are other things as the 2nd largest hydrogenation tour including the dam.

The tres frontier point near downtown. Which is the point where BR, AR and PY meet.

All depends on what you like.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
6. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

Thanks MW. I think I'm going to fly in as early as possible on Day 1 and fly back to GRU as late as possible on day 2 and fill up the time as much as possible with the activities you suggest.

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
86 reviews
7. Re: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?

I believe LATAM has a 8:30 am departure from GRU and a 5:20pm return. (non-stop)

Reply to: One and a half day near Iguazu. How to plan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted