We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

San Antonio, TX
2 posts
2 reviews
Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

How long does it take to cross the border from Brazil to Argentina? I only have one day to see the Brazilian side and Argentinean side. Also, any good hotel suggestions to stay at on the Brazilian side?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
1. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

Depends on how you cross. By public bus, depends on how many passengers' passports they look at.

What's your budget for accomodations? Cataratas Hotel, in the park, is lovely, with a view of the falls. There is also the reasonably priced Hotel Del Rey, with a small pool, in town.

San Antonio, TX
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

There is only two of us. I guess my question is, how long does it take by bus? Would it be beneficial to hire a driver for the day? Any idea how much it costs. I will look into the hotels you mentioned. Thanks,

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

I hired a car from Localiza car rental in Foz, I think it was about US$150 for 2 days. It's probably the best way to get around in a hurry. If you do take a car be sure to take all the car insurance papers that the rental company give you as these will be inspected at the border. Crossing the border took about 30 minutes each direction, but it was the start of a holiday weekend so it may not always be that busy.

It would be difficult, but not impossible, to do both sides on one day. If you want to go for it I would advise you to go see the Argentine side first as it is much larger and impressive. The Brazilian side only has a few look out points, and whilst you get a good panoramic view of the falls, it would not be a disaster if you only saw the Argentine side.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

I'm wondering about the same thing. Is it impractical to fly in on the Brazilian side and leave on the Argentine side? 'Cause what I really want to do is go from Rio to Iguazu to Buenos Aires.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

(1) Stay at the Hotel San Martin. It's right by the entrance to the Brazilian national park and only about 2 miles from the Foz airport.

(2) Public transportation around Foz is easy and inexpensive, but you have to weigh the hassles of transporting luggage. Do you want to carry suitcases onto the public buses and get on and off at the border crossings? There are public bus stops all along Avenida de las Cataratas (between downtown Foz and the Brazilian park). You can ride public bus into Argentina and out to the Argentine park.

(3) You can rent a car at Localiza in Foz. I don't know about returning the car on the Argentine side. Car rentals in Iguaçu are not cheap.

(4) At the airport in Foz check in with the Falls Vision tour company to see what you can work out with them. They provide transportation at reasonable rates, and you can make arrangements with them to pick you up at different places according to your schedule. They are not cheap, but if you can divide the expenses among several people, they're a very practical and reasonable option. Talk to Fabio Wandscheer or Josiane Bresolin. The office number is (45)521-4290. Fabio's direct number is (45)9104-0466.

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

I ended up having a great time after a bit of planning. We head straight to the Brazilian park after landing. Took a cab to the hotel in Argentina, and visited their park the next day. Flew out on the third day. I posted more details as a goList if you are interested: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16094-Iguassu_…

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

BlueWhirl, a great and informative report /research and just what I needed to know for planning my own trip. I am doing the same route. A question about the lockers at the parks on both sides of the falls. Are they quite big so they will fit luggage (ie. large carry-on size with wheels)? Thanks.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

tsalama,

If I were you I would consider renting a car, I did it myself at Localiza. I also spent 6 days at Recanto Park Hotel. See the thread "some info and hints" for some further ideas.

Atlanta, GA
3 posts
9. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

Has anyone crossed the border (from Brazil to Argentina) in a rental car? If so, what company did you use? I was hoping to rent in Brazil and return in Brazil, but use the car to explore the Argentine side. Also, any thoughts on visiting the Itaipu hydroelectric dam?

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
903 posts
115 reviews
10. Re: Crossing the Border (Brazil to Argentina)

Corbin,

I just returned from Iguaçu, but as my post will show, I was in my own car. Crossing the border was a cinch. There should be apparently no reason that having a rented car would bring any trouble. Nevertheless, someone else may have a different experience. As for Itaipu, I wish we had gone as the tour of the hydroelectric plant seems very organized - just be aware of the visiting hours: 8, 9, 10 a.m. and 2, 3, 3:30 p.m. On Friday and Saturday nights there is a light show at 8:30 p.m. which was also recommended to us, but having a 5-year old and our own slow-tourism rythm did not allow us to go enjoy this Iguaçu sight.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303435-i4550-k169…

Boa Viagem!