We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

Level Contributor
185 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

Just to make you aware the bamboo train is no longer running. I arrived in BB today to be told that the government ripped it down around 1 week ago. They are in the process of building a new one but I don't know when this will be up and running.

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

Hello Louise L

It's a pity you did not follow this topic or look it up on forum before going to Battambang as it has been well covered in this Bamboo Train specific thread:

https:/…87214940

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Phnom Penh

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

At last they are getting on with their new train route. Yes, i heard that the bamboo train will be moved somewhere else. Although it was fun i thought it was a bit of a rip-off, 10 minutes to the end of the line, locvals trying to sell you things, 10 minutes back aith reminders to tip the train driver as the big boss does not pay him much. It would have been a better experience if the train was still used by locals and we hopped on with them !

Level Contributor
185 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

I wanted to come to BB anyway to see the Bat cave and it was well worth it although scams and harrassment galore on the way there (Killing cave). I presume similar to on the bamboo train.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

I first went on the Bamboo Train in 2007 and the line was still being used by locals. There were a couple of times when we met a train going the other way and the locals had to get off their train and take if off the track so that we could pass.

I went back a few years later and it had become a pure tourist trap, catering exclusively to tourists who would pay over-inflated prices for a 20 minute ride.

It was good to see it when it was part of local Cambodian life but I'm not sad to see it go.

Level Contributor
185 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train

I've heard the same thing from other travellers. It is now in the process if being rebuilt though

Reply to: Advice for travellers: Bamboo Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted