We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the trip worth it? beach?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
is the trip worth it? beach?

i have 2 weeks to spend in Chile in first weeks December. I'd like to split my time between the lake region and beach/warmer weather. my boyfriend are i are into hiking, camping, & landscapes--would love to do some stargazing.. not really planning on doing a guided tour or anything unless it's something we can't miss.

i was thinking about taking a bus from Santiago to Valpariso then to La Serena. Are there beaches or some body of water to swim in La Serena? Is it worth the trip?

the toss up in Valpariso/La Serena for 4-5 days and 7 days in the lake region OR just do 11 days in the Lake Region

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

The ocean is icy cold everywhere in Chile, even in summer. Swimming in the lakes is much more of an option. Definitely spend a few days in Valparaiso, and then head south. If you go north to La Serena, the place to visit is the Elqui Valley, where most of the nice hotels have pools.

Edited: 23 September 2015, 09:13
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

San Alfonso del mar just north of Valparaíso has the world's largest swimming pool. It Israel just in form the océan.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

How far is the elqui valley from la serena? I won't be renting a car, are there buses or public transportation to the elqui valley?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

There are plenty of local buses in the Elqui Valley and lots of nice places stay. The further up the valley you go, the prettier it gets.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

Londinense, I read some post about Valpariso saying its super dirty and smelly, especially the beach (they compared it to Jersey Shore) & Vina Del Mar. I was excited to relax on the beach and under the sun , and stay out of the water bc it's cold. So i was thinking of skipping Valpariso entirely and staying at La Serena instead. In your opinion is that a mistake?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

Valparaiso is a working port and not a beach destination. There are beaches at Viña del Mar and further along the coast at Reñaca and Concon. People visit Valparaiso to see the colourful part of the city on the hills above the port and not to lie on a beach. Due to the Humboldt current, the sea off the coast of Chile is always very cold.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

Valparaiso is unique, but not a resort. Walking around the hills is fascinating and there are good hotels and restaurants. Don Alonso del Mar in Algorrobo to the north of Viña del Mar has the first of the very large swimming pools developed by a Chilean company that now builds them all over the world. It is right on the shore and is much warmer and cleaner than the ocean and really worth a visit. La Serena is more for the vineyards in the Elqui Valley, where Chilean pisco is made, and for stargazing.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

There is so much to see and do in the Lake District especially with your interests and if you are busing it everywhere you will be spending way too much time just traveling. Stay in the Lake District..

9. Re: is the trip worth it? beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2016, 01:17