Advice to those endevouring to travel to the yellow mountains.
1. All maps and the signage have many contradictory information with directions and distances. Apparently an App is in the making...
2. Avoid the nightmare path which leads to far western side of the "map" aspect it will have terrible pathways of boulders rather than concreted steps. Its a nightmare that just keeps going down to a dead end (9+ km downhill) sign reads 11km from western entrance at the bottom. You'll know if your on it because you will be hoping the whole way the nightmare finishes soon and its a crawl due to steep and narrow steps. Instead go the grand canyon pathway (alternative on west side). I consider myself fit having done 2 marathons but this experience is very taxing on your knees with the long downhill sections and straining on your legs uphill.
3. Super crowded on wknds even worse public holiday wknds- if you plan to take the cableway up and stay the night on the mountain- advice would be to arrive late to avoid 1hr queues for the cableway.
4. 6-10 bed Dorm rooms at 150RMB/bed at many nice hotels no towels.
5. Pack plenty of food &water prices are tripled on the mountain.
6. Weather unpredictable- pack thermals etc.