We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yuping still closed. Quickest descent from Baiyun Hotel?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Yuping still closed. Quickest descent from Baiyun Hotel?

We are staying at Baiyun in mid July and had planned to go down via the Yuping cable car which I am told will still be closed.

Which way would be our fastest descent back to Tangkou please and how long would that likely take?

My thoughts were to catch the new high speed train back to Shanghai that evening from Tunxi (I am making an assumption that there will be a late afternoon/early evening departure) rather than the late night flight. I also need to factor in getting to the new train station which I believe is further away from Tunxi now.Lots of variables.Just not sure how much time pressure this puts us under and potential for a missed connection.

Always grateful for help.Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Yuping still closed. Quickest descent from Baiyun Hotel?

The high speed rail station (Huangshan North) is between the Mountain/Tangkou and Tunxi, so the drive back would be shorter, maybe 40-45 minutes instead of 60+. If Yuping is out of commission, then go up via West Sea Canyon (the newest cable car) and down via Yungu, Or vice versa. As long as you are back down to Tangkou by 16:00 and are willing to hire a taxi or private car to get going immediately, you should be able to easily catch a 17:30 train from Huangshan North. Although of course we have no timetables yet.

The main issue is will this HSR line/station be operational by the time of your visit. You may have uncertainty on this until very close-in time frame, so have a Plan B (night flight, etc.) as a backup idea.

Edited: 30 May 2015, 19:51
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Yuping still closed. Quickest descent from Baiyun Hotel?

Thanks Karen.Agree re the projected start date 1 July...our Baiyun dates are around the 13th July. Do you think plane tickets would still be available at short-ish notice (say a week out?).It's a bit of a gamble but I'm not sure of historical passenger loading numbers weekdays in July TXN - Shanghai.

Any idea when they may confidently release the train schedule and do you think they will be running more than one service a day? Tickets may be hard to get hold of?

3. Re: Yuping still closed. Quickest descent from Baiyun Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2016, 01:17