We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabac to Plitvice

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Rabac to Plitvice

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Having done Dubrovnik, Cavtat and Korcula, my partner and I really fancy going further north in Croatia and trying to incorporate a trip to Plitvice Lakes. Originally, I was looking at flying to Zadar, Zagreb or Rijeka, hiring a car, going to Plitvice for a few nights, then on somewhere else for a week, however, I can only really find flights to those airports from London airports - around 3-4 hours from where we are. There is however some pretty good package holidays from Leeds Bradford to Rabac, Rovinj or for 11 nights. So, I'm wondering if we book one of these, then book 2 days car hire and 1 night accommodation in Plitvice. This would give us a whole day in Pltivice rather than the 12-4 pm offered by tours operators from either resorts. So my questions... Is the drive from Rabac or Rovinj easier? I know it's going to take around 3 hours from either, but is it a relatively straight forward drive? Is up to 2 days and 1 night enough for Pltivice and is 10 nights in Rabac or Rovinj too much, is there a clear winner out of Rabac or Rovinj or is there somewhere better than either of these places?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Plitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Lakes National...
Central Croatia, Croatia
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
London
London
England, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Rabac
Rabac
Istria, Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
4 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,697 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabac to Plitvice

Definitely Rovinj over Rabac.

1 night in Plitvice is sufficient IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Rabac
Rabac
Istria, Croatia
essex
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabac to Plitvice

Rabac is a really good base. In the hotel (Narcis) shearing use it is also a mammoth campsite with scores of campervans arriving constantly. So you've got that option too. There is not loads to do or see there. However most of the day trips I went on from there in August entailed driving along forested motorway to get to a village with a tiny church. That was the tourist spot. The coast is also beautiful as indeed is the forest of conifers but miles of it and yawns on the return trip.

Mentioned in this post
Rabac
Rabac
Istria, Croatia
Narcis
Narcis
157 Reviews
Rabac, Croatia
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabac to Plitvice

Resoundingly Rovinj instead of Rabac. The location is far more central to Istria and Rabac us a resort and lacks the pretty charm of Rovinj. Rabac and especially Labin near Rabac makes a nice day trip but I wouldn't base there.

It's your trip but it truly sounds Rovinj fits your wants better.

You could stay in Rovinj all ten nights or 5 in Rovinj and 5 in a gorgeous hilltop village such as Grožnjan or Motovun for an entirely different experience. Hundreds of possible day trips. And by all means do rent a car.

Edited: 07 December 2016, 11:32
Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Rabac
Rabac
Istria, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabac to Plitvice

Without a doubt another vote for Rovinj over Rabac, a much more interesting town. Also it's ideally placed as a base for visiting the hilltop villages and other coastal towns i.e. Pula and Porec, not to mention the NP Brijuni.

Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Rabac
Rabac
Istria, Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Porec
Porec