We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

Thoughts, tips, any info or comparisons between these 2 for beaching it, snorkel (no scuba), eating out and going out at night? I thank you in advance for your thoughts and thanks for helping me work my list of places down. Which has a nicer beach? Which is shorter walk to restaurants/bars/clubs? Any big cleanliness difference between the 2?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

you really need to consult the TA resort reviews, and you'll get a load of opinion as well as lots of pictures.

Arco Iris is a very reasonable property more of less lodged into the Argentinian Grill restaurant, across the road from the Half Moon Bay beach. The restaurant has some plastic tables under the trees on this part of the beach. And just down the road from Sundowners, the most popular bar in town. SO I imagine that it is noisy late, while Sueno is remote from the noise. Sueno has its own beach which is fairly wide, while Arco has its narrow beach. Arco's beach does offer shade from the palms, while Sueno's has only umbrellas for shade. Sueno has in-room safes, refrigerators, and breakfast. I don't know if Arco has any of these things. The reef off Sueno is excellent, the best on the island. There is reef across the top of Half Moon Bay, but it is rather poor. Arco, being in the middle of things, is close to bars and restaurants, maybe too close. I have never stayed at Arco. I can only say that Sueno is very clean, with rooms cleaned and towels changed every day. All the rooms at Sueno have porches with hammocks and direct full views of the water. Arco may have few if any water views.

Along this line you may want to look at Posada las Orquideas further north in Lands End on Mangrove Bite. On the water except no beach and you can't swim in the water.

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

Thanks to dhauk and all others who have helped indulge me in methodically narrowing down my choices. I have studied reviews and traveller pix for these and many other lodging options. Sometimes asking for direct comparisons from fellow travellers helps my indecision. These 2 seem to be my top 2 choices now since they seem to meet most of what we,re looking for. I am leaning towards Sueno a bit more from the glowing recommendations. Since I do not know exactly, maybe I'll just directly ask about some of the other questions I have about the 2.

I do like to hear the reef is best at sueno for snorkeling and sounds like not so great at arco. From photos, it seems that the beach water is more of that picturesque caribbean blue at half moon bay than at sueno's beach. That makes my wife happy. I am just looking at photos and could be completely wrong, so any thoughts on that? I know west bay has the better beaches but we want to stay in west end within short walking distance to everything.Will probably catch water taxi once to west bay in our short stay.

That brings me to my next point. I do like that arco is by sundowners and other eats/drinks. I realize sueno is a little further down but still somewhat close to all. Can you give me your best estimate as to how far the walk to everything from sueno is? What about sueno to sundowners just to get an idea about how far apart they aren from each other also?

Thanx again!

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

Yeah, the beach itself may be a litle prettier at Arcos, but when we hung out there one day, we got chewed up by sand fleas...I don't think they rake the beach as much there. Arcos is in the middle of town and seems to be in the middle of the action...but keep in mind that the west end is a tiny city. It takes about 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other...

Sueno also has it's own beach and feels more like a private beach. The walk to all the restaurants and bars is only about a 3 minute walk.

To be honest, I think most people we saw staying on the west end (myself included) would take a water taxi to the West Bay daily and then come back to the west end in the afternoon for dinner. West Bay is where the beach is that beautiful carribean blue. I thought it was gonna be a pain going back and forth, but I traveled with my parents and my 2 year old daughter...never a big deal. We actually really enjoyed the boat rides (water taxi) out there.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

The beach at Arco is your basic lovely nearly circular palm-lined caribbean beach, lined with low buildings set in the trees. Lots of shade. I have never tried it out for sun bathing. I do see many people with their chairs out in the water, so that may be due to flies. Don't really know. The beach at Sueno is straight, wide, unshaded. I make the walk several times a day from Sueno to Half Moon Bay because I dive with Coconut Tree, which is at the traffic circle just short of Sundowners. I swear it takes me over 10 minutes. But it's maybe 3-4 minutes from Sueno to the beginning of the restaurant/bar zone in West End.

There is a major covered water taxi stop next to Sueno, if you're headed to WEst Bay. From Half Moon Bay you would have to walk south a ways to pick up a water taxi since they don't go into Half Moon Bay except by request on the return.

5. Re: Posada Arco Iris vs Sueno del Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations