We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utila or roatan

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Utila or roatan

I'm so undecided it's nuts! I went to roatan last year. Had a nice place to stay, great diving company to dive with but not sure what to do. Roatan good snorkeling in front of my place, diving hoping we'll find better dive spots. I like to be able to listen to a band or go out to dinner easily (relative).

I like the idea about utila being a little more remote and do it yourself type of feel.

I want to experience the best snorkeling/diving possible. I would like to see the whale sharks over in utila and we'll be there during the full moon time frame.

Going dec 26-jan 3.

PLSE help!!!

thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utila or roatan

december and january last year was good re. whale sharks around utila

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Utila or roatan

Maybe you could try Utila for a change then next time you will have your own comparison what to do

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utila or roatan

Try the Lighthouse and Alton's on Utila - I love that combination. They're just a few doors apart and we like the location near the bridge - you can find snorkeling by the old airport; there are dive sites (Airport Caves for 1) out that way and you can snorkel from shore. It takes a bit of a hike and don't expect much beach. Our favorite restaurant - RJs Barbecue - is across the street.

aboututila.com/AccomInfo/…Index.htm

http://altonsdiveshop.com/

You'll have to go out of your way on Utila to find snorkeling and great beaches - that's the main difference we've found. There's just more variety and more options on Roatán for nice beaches/shore snorkeling/nearby restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
4. Re: Utila or roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 05:15