We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Bogoria

singapore
Level Contributor
756 posts
15 reviews
Lake Bogoria

Hi

We will be doing the Gate 1 safari and we will be visiting Lake Elmentaita and Soysambu Conservancy. Will we be able to see flamingos in Lake Elmentaita. If not, should we visit Lake Bogoria after the Gate 1 tour as we have another 2 days in Nairobi. Please advise.

Thank you.

Sandy

9 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Lake Bogoria

There are flamingos at Elementeita but very few in nos.

Bogoria is the new home to flamingos having flown out from Lake Nakuru due to lake pollution.

https:/…index.html

Good Luck

singapore
Level Contributor
756 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Lake Bogoria

Thank you STEFANILARDA.

Is it doable visiting Lake Bogoria, Lake Naivasha, Hells Gate and Crescent Island over 2 days.

Thanks

Sandy

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Lake Bogoria

Bogoria - Full Day

Hell's Gate Trek & Ol Karia Geo Thermal SPA - Full Day

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

singapore
Level Contributor
756 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Lake Bogoria

Thank you Stefanilarda. Appreciate your suggestion.

Regards

Sandy

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Lake Bogoria

I was at Elmenteita and Bogoria last weekend and I can certainly confirm that Bogoria currently has Kenya's best concentrations of flamingos (mostly lesser), all bunched at the far northern end of the reserve by the only operational gate. It's worth knowing that the only part of Lake Bogoria National Reserve that is visitable is this tiny corner by the gate. It's amazingly lucky for the park authorities that so many flamingos seem to be there, because the lake has flooded the reserve to such an extent that the lakeshore road disappears under water after 200m. So that's it. There are probably 10-20,000 birds in a pink mass just inside the gate.

At Elmenteita there are lots of flamingos along the western and southern shore, where I visited (I can't vouch for the northern and eastern areas), but they're not massed in impressive concentrations, just scattered in flocks of a few hundred here and there. I would highly rate Soysambu otherwise, however. Their lions (now a pride and two groups totalling around 14 cats) are easily seen (though I didn't see them on Sunday), and there's plenty of other plains wildlife. We say a leopard, too, which was a big surprise!

Safari njema!

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Destination Manager at Expert Africa

Edited: 25 July 2018, 13:00
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Lake Bogoria

Pleasure.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 12:02
California
Level Contributor
538 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Lake Bogoria

@Richard - So does this mean that you pay the entrance fee to enter Bogoria, and can only travel 200 meters?

Robbie

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Lake Bogoria

robbiemp, that was my impression at the time of my visit in July 2018, however I have since learned that there is a road running well above the shoreline along the western side. But I'm not sure of its condition or how far south you can go on it.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Destination Manager at Expert Africa

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
347 reviews
9. Re: Lake Bogoria

I saw the flamingos last year and it was just a stunning sight. it was just unforgettable.

Reply to: Lake Bogoria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Nakuru National...