We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Perth
Level Contributor
117 posts
205 reviews
136 helpful votes
Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

Morning all,

Firstly apologies if I have missed this elsewhere in the forums. I am looking at going from Miri to Mulu (flying) a few days in the park and then want to go to Bandar Seri for a few days before going on further north in Borneo, most likely to Sandakan.

There are no direct flights to Bandar Seri and the concept of flying from MYY to BWN via either KUL or SIN just seems a ridiculous waste of time and money to me. Is anyone aware of a way to travel directly from Mulu to Bandar Seri, or Miri to Bandar Seri that is not a bus (other half not keen on buses after Rajasthan experience) please let me know, Always happy with local guide etc with private car and so no one breaches the TA guidelines feel free to send me a message directly if you need to.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
65 reviews
97 helpful votes
1. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

Only a private car/driver who can cross the border. You cannot use car hire or public taxi.

Buses in Malaysia are very good and safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
740 posts
6 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

There is no way of travelling from Mulu to BSB directly. A few years ago MASWings introduced direct flights but that route lasted less than a year.

It is certainly possible to drive from Miri to BSB, although you would need to hire a car and driver.

Another option is to fly directly from Mulu to Kota Kinabalu. MASWings has direct flights to KK from Mulu but only on certain days of the week. You could then take a flight from KK to BSB, or alternatively take a bus, or even go by ferry via Labuan.

If you really wanted to be adventurous you could hike out of Mulu via Camp 5 and the Headhunter's Trail. You would end up in Limbang and from there take a bus to BSB. However, this would take a bit of organisation unless you were able to join a group making that trip. I have made the trip to Limbang from Mulu. It is quite enjoyable and doesn't require a high degree of fitness.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
65 reviews
97 helpful votes
3. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

One other comment - BSB is avoided by travelers as it is not that exciting - be warned.

BSB residents go to Miri for fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
740 posts
6 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

Actually, I think that BSB residents mainly go down to Miri to shop. The prices of goods in Sarawak are a fraction of the prices in Brunei.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
65 reviews
97 helpful votes
5. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

Don't forget beer etc

Miri, Sarawak...
2 posts
6. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

This is for all who have been asking about the BSB-Miri Express Bus Service.

There's now two daily trips from BSB/Miri. Bus operator is PHLS Express which can be contacted via +6732236738.

Bus leaves Brunei Capital at 7am and 1pm daily and leaves Miri (Pujut Corner Terminal Bus) for Brunei Capital at 8.15am and 4.15pm.

Price is BND18.00 for one way.

7. Re: Miri - Mulu - Bandar Seri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2018, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Miri