We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Miri in Sarawak

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Singapore, Singapore
14 posts
Visiting Miri in Sarawak

Hi

i will be visiting Miri this November, would like to know:

1. how many days is sufficient to visit Mulu cave and one of the longhouse?

2. how to go about it? Am i able to visit on my own to both the places?

3. Thank you

10 replies to this topic
Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

Hi Bernie,

1. Best to allocate a minimum of 3D2N for Mulu. Even 3 days might be a little rushed. You can arrange for a longhouse visit while you're there in Mulu, so you don't really have to separate your trip into two.

2. Flying is the best option. 2 daily flights from Miri to Mulu via MASwings. Check https://www.maswings.com.my/ . If you have extra time, stop over in Miri for a day or 2. Allow yourself to visit Niah Caves or arrange for a Niah Cave-longhouse tour if you're not able to visit a longhouse in Mulu.

Hope this helps.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

Totally agree with Blue-Wingz - spot on answer. I suggest you follow the advice given.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

There are several caves available to explore in Mulu National Park, depending on your interests. We arrived in Mulu NP Friday afternoon, checked in, did the first cave (Deer?) and the bat exodus that night, as well as a night safari tour. The next morning we did the canopy tour, packed our bags and caught an afternoon flight out on Saturday. It was do-able, but another night or two would have been heaven in this beautiful location.

Singapore, Singapore
14 posts
4. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

Thanks to all for your advise.

Hi Blue-Wingz, once in Mulu, am i able to organise the tour myself to visit the caves as well as the longhouse. Or i have to engage a tour operator?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

No need for 'tour operator' just ask at Park HQ

Singapore, Singapore
14 posts
6. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

Thank you esorlegin, i took it your reply is pertaining to visiting Mulu National Park which i need not engage a tour operator.

How about visiting longhouse, am i able to do it on my own?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

Most 'real' longhouse's are away from the cities and you would need a guide.

The ones close to cities tend to be quite modern and are often built of concrete.

I have never used a guide around Miri, but have a look here - private guide are best as they don't have the overheads of tour companies. https:/…miri-tours-guide

Singapore, Singapore
14 posts
8. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

thanks so much esorlegin

pardon me, i am not visiting Kuching. i am flying directly into Miri and then to Mulu. From what i have read,seem likes longhouse visit only available in Kuching. Am i able to find longhouse in Mulu or Miri?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

There are long houses all over Sarawak - different tribes = different styles. That's why you should contact a local guide in the Miri area and ask.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Visiting Miri in Sarawak

If you go to Niah Caves there are long houses nearby that provide home stays. From the long house village it is an easy walk to the caves. However, if you were to take this option you would need to travel with a backpack — preferably one that is not too heavy. There is a long board walk to the village and in places it is in poor condition.

Reply to: Visiting Miri in Sarawak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Miri