We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

queensland australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
safety

Lived in Mt Hagen as a child in the early 70's. Would like to take my husband & children back to show them. Have heard many stories about the lack of safety for foreign travellers in Hagen. Do not want to put my family at risk.

Can anyone who has been recently advise me on their thoughts as to whether it is safe to take my 4 children (ages from 5 -15 years).

Debbie

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: safety

PNGExpat,

Things have changed in Hagen since the 70's, for the worse I'm afraid. Some elements within the town specifically target Expats due to their obvious materialistic tendencies. Having said that, there are good people in town, same as everywhere on the planet, but even they will advise against leaving your abode for a look around.

It's a dirty place, there's no pride in the people for the environment they live in, and it will not invoke any happy moments for the family. Stick with your memories, and give this place a wide berth.

We (a bunch of Expats) fly through Hagen every week on our way to work in Enga, and it's one, albeit brief, stop-over that none of us relish.

Sorry mate,

Rick

Cairns, Qld.

2. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 00:48
Get answers to your questions about Mount Hagen
Recent Conversations