We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

Hi, is there a night bus from Almirante to Playa Blanca in the Rio Hato area? I'm looking for something like the night bus from Panama City to Almirante, preferably with no stops. I will be arriving in Panama City by plane, taking the night bus to Almirante, spend a couple of days in Bocas then I need to get back to Playa Blanca for an event. If a night bus does not exist, what would be the best way to do this without flying?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

You can take the same direct bus back to the city and have them drop you off at what ever town is where you turn off for Playa Blanca (Rio Hato?) and take a taxi to Playa Blanca. You probably want to take the morning direct bus so it drops you there in the early evening as opposed to the direct night bus from Almirante which would drop you off around 4 in the morning. Even if you take a bus from Almirante to David and then another bus towards Panama City, there will be no direct bus to Playa Blanca proper and you will be dropped off at the same place the direct bus from Almirante to Panama City drops you off.

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

So then the direct bus is not really "direct"? It stops at intervals?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

Its called the direct bus because its only one bus, as opposed to taking two buses.

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

I see. Thanks Geojack.

One more question... I was looking at the bus timetables on thebusschedule.com/EN/pa/index.php and I saw that the trip from Almirante to Anton (the closest city to Rio Hato I could find with a bus stop) is about 8 hours long with bus changes. Seeing as the hotel I'm staying at in Playa Blanca has a check-in time of 2:00 PM, I was think of leaving Almirante in the afternoon of the 6th... travelling halfways to Rio Hato, spending the night at a town, then continuing my journey on the 7th to my destination. My question is, what town would be good to visit for one night between Almirante and Rio Hato?

Edited: 28 January 2015, 23:37
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

Probably David or Santiago, more likely Santiago.

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

Thanks Geo... Anything you recommend doing in Santiago or David for the afternoon? Any lodging recomendations?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

No much to do in either town. In Santiago you can probably to a day trip to San Francisco De Veraguas and check out the old Spanish churches which are very intricate. I always stay at the cheapest places possible but I know there are some nicer hotels in both towns.

8. Re: Almirante to Rio Hato (Playa Blanca)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2016, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Bocas Town