We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling help needed

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling help needed

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum. I think this will be my last q! We want to do some snorkelling and struggling to decide on a location. We have narrowed it down to playa polo, hospital point or cayo crawl. Ideally we'd like somewhere with access to snorkelling off the beach so we can come and go as we please but know that's not always possible. Any input on this would be hugely appreciated.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling help needed

Most snorkeling spots around Bocas are boat access. A number of the more popular sites have mooring balls for boats.

Crawl Caye has some spots accessible from the lodge/resturants there (careful of boat traffic), but the better spots there are boat access too.

There are some threads here discussing specific snorkel spots around bocas...take a look at those too.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling help needed

Apart from Polo beach, many of the snorkeling spots are on the tours, which there are tons, so you can hit a few different ones in a day. I would suggest taking the Bocas sailing tour which is on a catemeran. Its a little more than a normal tour but it is much more comfortable and they take you to a couple of great spots that are not on the generic tours.

Edited: 12 January 2015, 19:48
Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling help needed

Thanks both much appreciated.

I have looked into the tours they all seem to include dolphin bay and red frog beach neither of which I'm too fussed about. Also whilst my partner loves observing fish he doesn't like getting in the water so not sure it's worth the cost per person and it might mean him sitting on the boat on his own whereas if we found somewhere he can have a beer while I do my thing would be great.

Is it possible to get a water taxi to and from cayo crawl or would I need to hire a boat driver to stay with us?

Will look into the catamaran tour too! Thanks

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling help needed

No regular water taxi service out to Crawl. You could hire a privado, which will be spendy, or go with a tour. I think most tours hit Isla Zapatillas too which is a beautiful place.

Dolphin Bay has a very unique snorkel site. Not a lot of fish, but loaded with marine invertebrates....more Brittle Stars than I've ever seen anywhere...and all out in the open during the day (very unusual). The catamaran mentioned earlier goes there.

You could also stay out at Crawl...water is clear enough for him to observe fish from the docks while you snorkel.

Edited: 12 January 2015, 22:07
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling help needed

A device which might help with your partner is a "lookey bucket". Its just a plastic bucket with a clear plastic bottom installed. Might be able to find one at hardware stores or dive shop in Bocas. The bottom of the bucket is positioned just below the surface and the user can then easily see under water without leaving the boat. I've used one for water-timid guests many times and it works out great.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling help needed

Hire a private taxi boat. They will know the spots to bring you. Many won't share their favorite spots because then it gets taken over by tourists who don't take care of the areas then they are destroyed.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling help needed

Blue Coconut may work for you. It's a little restaurant and bar on stilts off of Isla Solarte. They have snorkeling near enough to the dock that you could swim out while your partner lounges on the deck with a cocktail. I enjoyed this area more than Corl Caye because the current wasn't as strong and the water was shallower and it was easier to see all the goodies on the bottom. The real snorkeling at Coral Caye is out in the open water near the restaurant but not near enough to swim to. You could ask your boat captain to leave your partner at the restaurant and then take you out to the water and bring you back. I know people say hiring a private boat is pricy but I really think it's very well worth it. We found another couple where we were staying that agreed to share the cost so it was only $25.00 per person and it was very personal and we got to call the shots on how long we stayed or where we went. Polo beach was originally on our list but we weren't able to go because the water was so high there wasn't really a beach. This was in early December. If you do hire a private boat, ask them to take you to Sloth Island. It's a beautiful trip out there and we saw 6 sloths from the boat. Very cool and a great way to break up the snorkeling trips. Our privado captain was Papa. Have a blast!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkelling help needed

Actually the reason you cant go to Polo beach when the seas are to high is because it is too hard to make it through the break in the reef you need to go through to get to his beach. His beach is protected from the seas by this reef which is why people llike to go there.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkelling help needed

Thanks so much everyone. Was set on a private boat to crawl but CostaChica I've just looked up Blue Coconut and it looks amazing! Can we just get a water taxi rather than a private boat there? It looks quite close to bocas.

I thought I'd found the perfect solution by staying at ecylpse del Mar water bungalows - you can feed the fish thru the floor! But the weather wasn't kind to us and we didn't see a single fish but who can argue with mother nature?!!!

10. Re: snorkelling help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2016, 01:16