We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

So I am headed to Panama in mid March, and am looking to go from Panama City to Bocas del Toro, and then make my way back to Panama City over the course of a week. I am planning on taking a bus from the Albrook terminal in Panama City to Almirante on a Sunday night bus and arrive Monday morning. Do I need to/ can I buy tickets in advance online or are there so many buses available that it isn't a problem? Also, how early should I show up to the station. Thank you so much for help!

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

Hi. There is no way to buy bus tickets online. They only start selling them the day before. When I travel by the bus, I usually go the day before and buy my tickets. Now with Panama City's subway system this is done a lot easier since it's only a 15 minute commute from El Cangrejo to Albrook and then about a 10 minute walk to the ticket counter. A couple of times I've been able to buy the tickets in the late afternoon but they normally sell out.

Lots of detailed info about how to make the journey here >> hablayapanama.com/faqs/…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

Good info although not sure if I would pay 45 dollars for your company to pick me up from the airport and bring me to the bus station... One thing that is not stressed on your website though. There is also a morning direct bus from PC to Almirante, do not take this one. It may get you to Almirante in time to get the last water taxi to the islands but its a gamble. You cannot buy bus tickets to David the day before, only day of. The rule about taking the bus from David to Almirante is only go between the hours of 3 am and 2 pm. Otherwise you are waiting in Almirante and thats a big no no.

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

I agree with all your input....

We only offer that pickup for people who come to our Spanish school (as it says on the website). We don't set that up for anyone else... we'll wait for the student at the exit area, with a sign, with their name on it and take them wherever they need to go (hotel, the bus terminal, the domestic airport, etc)... it's not a taxi service nor open to the general public....

Edited: 21 January 2015, 11:36
Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

Thank you for your help!

maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

my family and i just did the bus trip from albrook to almirante last week. i too didn't know how early i could buy the tickets- only that they could potentially sell out. my host family in panama city tried to find out for me, and even for them as locals they couldn't get the info. since i had the morning before our bus trip free, i went to albrook at 8 am to buy tickets. there was no one in the booth and eveyrone i asked there gave me different info about when someone would be there. there were no signs stating when the ticket office opened.... so- i waited for about 2 hours until someone showed up to buy tickets. i didn't have anything else to do so it wasn't a big deal but if i were to do it again, i'd wait until about 12 to go get my tickets. it is chaotic when you get the bus, unless your spanish is pretty good make sure you are aware when your bus is being filled. also, get yourself the little card needed to exit the turnstile to get on the bus- it is about 1.00 but no signage that i saw, just had to kind of figure it out. best of luck! don't forget to bring your passport when buying ticktets.

6. Re: Getting from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2016, 00:16