We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trabug vs others?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Trabug vs others?

Hi, all! We are traveling to India in September for a 13-day tour with Gate 1. I’ve been trying to navigate all the info on the internet about using cell phones and accessing internet while there. Since we’re with a tour, I don’t think we will have much free time to try & get to a kiosk to purchase a SIM. I’ve been reading about Trabug on this and a couple of other travel sites and it seems like a good option under the circumstances. Anyone want to chime in - pros or cons both welcome. Many thanks!!

8 replies to this topic
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
835 posts
1. Re: Trabug vs others?

Please see a similar thread in this forum from one who has successfully activated a prepaid SIM.

Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Trabug vs others?

Hi, did you end up using Trabug? Does anyone else have experience with them? Seems so much simpler than getting a SIM. And I think our phones are locked so we'd have to find a work-around for that...

Edited: 21 October 2018, 21:38
Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Trabug vs others?

Generally , many local travel agents provide local SIM complimentary. If arriving at New Delhi then you may buy SIM at Airport within 05-10 minutes time. You may take help from your local guide. It is very common & easy to get SIM.

3 posts
4. Re: Trabug vs others?

There's a very good review of Trabug by Hippie in Heels which can be found here: https:/…

The post is swaying me towards renting one of the trabug phones, for the indian phone number, but I don't feel comfortable e-mailing my passport info over e-mail...which is what you have to do if you want to have the phone at your hotel the first day you land.

3 posts
5. Re: Trabug vs others?

I went through the process of booking a Trabug hotspot device, not a phone, and it turns out that they require the passport information via e-mail in order to release a device to a foreigner. Here's what they require:

Scan copy of your passport - personal information page(s) (all 4 corners should be visible)

In case you don't have an e-VISA, we also require a scan copy of your valid Indian VISA (or OCI/PIO card if applicable)

Recent digital photo (a headshot with your full face clearly visible)

Your full address including country and postal code (in case not part of passport information)

Your father's name (in case not part of passport information)

Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Trabug vs others?

Thanks, Leah. Yes, sending all that via email makes me uncomfortable too. I hadn’t gotten that far to see the requirements. And I saw Hippie In Heels but the review seemed almost too good to be true-like it was sponsored. Thanks for the helpful info.

Bingley, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Trabug vs others?

I think whenever you get a SIM in India, whether in a phone or not, you have to provide this information by law. I am considering using Trabug as well.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Trabug vs others?

I have now used Trabug twice and I have to say that the service and the product is impeccable. They are very swift in all responses and the product is good. This year I took an old phone (remember: unlocked!) and just put their SIM card into my old phone. As I knew my way around this phone it was just easier than trying to work out all the tricks on the Indian phone which I was not conversant with. This year there were no issues when crossing state borders and everything worked seamlessly. The deal is also very generous in terms of GB, texts etc.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Reply to: Trabug vs others?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted