We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mumbai really filthy

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Is Mumbai really filthy

Just wondering if it is safe to travel to Mumbai as it seems to be dirty from photographs

21 replies to this topic
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Having just returned from India including a 3 night stay in Mumbai, I'll second Sharon's post 100%. The thing I did found amusing was because I have blond hair people was coming up to me asking for photographs. I did not mind and in a way it was fun.

Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Not blindfolded at all. Just saying it as i see it

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

My vocabulary may be very poor ...and I could be accused being short-sighted ...

But Mumbai has a population of over 1.5 million ... Only 25-30% lives in proper authorized dwellings, Yet.. you will not find a news item referring deaths or sickness on account of filth.

This is a city with contrasting cityscapes .... there are filthy areas as well as clean areas ... the balance tilts in the favor of cleanliness ... and the city moves on. The cleaner area is much larger than the filthy area. Why keep focussing on the negative side ... only pessimist would do so. The perception could differ but the facts would be real for an unbiased to experience ... Welcome to Mumbai.

CarLink

Edited: 17 November 2017, 12:45
India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Sometimes, I get the feeling that posts like this are not initiated to rile people up on the forum. Consider that the OP has joined the forum just to ask this one question and has not returned with any other post. Let's just ignore such posts and move on.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
695 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Lol Ian same thing about the photos has been happening to us. I finally asked people why and they said it was to show white people come to visit India. It’s like I want pictures of the tigers and Indians want pictures of the elusive white people lol. However we do get creepy guys asking for pictures with my wife and we say no!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Mumbai is Mumbai and is a city that never sleeps..

You see sky scrappers at one side of the road and hutments on the other.. High end luxury cars on the road and at the same time, small time motor bikes or public TAXI / TUK TUKs. Yummy snacks at may be 1$ around the corner and may not fit may be at 10 $ .

What keeps the city going is really the people in here. If you are planning on India, the Mumbai is certainly worth visiting. Being one of the few metros of the country, Mumbai is surrounded with Arabian Sea and town side of the city certainly should give you Filty touch.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Not as filthy as the Tenderloin

Edited: 23 November 2017, 14:48
Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

I agree with MG10101. I guess OP is sitting behind and enjoying the drama. Posts like this should be ignored.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
695 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

Just spent a full day in Mumbai down in the marine drive area and it’s very clean. However i noticed hundreds of posters both in English and Hindi trying to get parents to pimp their children to pedophilles. That’s the most disturbing thing I’ve seen. I spent about an hour ripping and tearing down about 50 of them. They say part time/ full time work for boys and girls 15,000 for boys and 30,000 for girls with two mobile numbers and at the bottom says “one phone call can change your life”

Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is Mumbai really filthy

I’m in Mumbai now. Yes, the air is difficult to breathe. The fumes from the cars are overwhelming. If you can, stay near the water as that would probably be better.

Reply to: Is Mumbai really filthy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted