We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
265 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

I'll be in Mumbai for 24 hours and i'm looking for the best place to stay but confused between the taj and oberoi!!

which 1 has the better location for shopping and restaurants?

what is the best bet in mumbai?

how about the fourseasons? is it far from the shopping and restaurants?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Between Taj and Oberoi you can toss a coin or pick the one which is giving you the best deal!

Four seasons is not in a good location, I wouldn't even consider it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Agree with Sandy but the only edge for Taj (although very slight) is the 'charm' of the Heritage Wing. So if you wish to experience that then may be Taj is the choice for you. Some people say Colaba has a lot of restaurants and stuff but then Nariman Point (where Oberoi is located) has enuf stuff to boast about as well. Plus personally I find the Marine Drive (Oberoi) far impressive than Gateway (Taj).

In the end both hotels are not far apart so you can stay at either and still explore both the neighborhoods :)

Edited: 09 April 2012, 08:05
Mumbai
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Personal recommendation - Heritage wing of the Taj Mahal!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
89 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

I wanted to join in on this post- I will be in Mumbai as well in the end of September and I have reservations with the Four Seasons. Now I am reconsidering it based on these recommendations. I really want to be at a location that would be best for sightseeing and walking around easily, so would you recommend for me to cancel with the FS and book Taj? Thanks in advance!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Yes, Taj is better located for sightseeing.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
89 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Thank you! By any chance, do you know if yoga is offered at the Taj?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

Why not send an email to the Taj to check? That way, you would be sure.

Agra
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

taj mahal is good option

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

@kguerrra, absolutely. I have always believed the Four Seasons Mumbai must be the worst located Four Seasons in the world. For a chain widely considered to be the world's foremost luxury/ business hotel group, the location of this property borders on the bizarre. All other hotels of the group that I have stayed in or seen are in the best locations in those respective cities.

As a tourisT or a short term visitor, you should definitely cancel and relocate to either the Taj (ideally the hertiage Palace wing) or The Oberoi/ The Trident, Nariman Point.

You shouldn't even step out of the gate of the Four Seasons on foot! And, if you choose to still do so, the tourist sights are several miles (and at least a half hour's drive in good traffic conditions) away.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 02:33
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Taj Mahal or The Oberoi???

The FS property is not so well because of its vicinity and neighborhood. although you may have good view of the racecourse and sea from higher floors from their certain rooms.

There is one touristic spot nearby FC. But Taj has the best location and all the touristic sites are in 2 kms radius besides good dinning and shopping area all around.

So if you can change over it will surely be The Taj Palace and Hotels and the Hertiage wing will be the best place to be in.