We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brookline...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Hi I will be traveling to Mumbai in Feb 2013 with my sister. We are bothe very excited and nervous. This is the first time we are going to India we have seen pictures and love it. But we are nervous on how we will be treated when we get there. We are both friendly we do not like trouble. We have read that there be bad stuff happening like being robbed or touched etc please give us any info but we are very excited to be going to India..

Barbara

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Don't believe everything you read. Indian cities are normally very safe, much safer than most cities in the US. Mumbai is great to begin with. Read up on earlier posts about Mumbai in the Mumbai forum. Be sensible, have your common sense around and you will be fine.

Brookline...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Thank you very much for the information. I will read up on more information on Mumbai.

Barbara

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Hi Barbara,

Don't worry too much, go ahead and plan out your trip without fear. Do go through this forum. theres a lot of good info on here. Once you are done reading, post specific queries on here and we will try to help you out as much as possible.

Since you are coming to India, would you like to visit Taj Mahal? If yes, do look at the Delhi and Agra forums about how that can be done.

Also, do go through the main India forum, there are various threads there about females travelling alone to India, so you'll get loads of tips.

Feb 2013 is a long way off, its great that you've started planning so early! :)

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Mumbai is quite safe for travellers. You are not likely to be taking autos (tuk tuks) around Bandra and Khar stations, where there have been a few reports of robberies of late. Even in these, the people robbed were carrying new laptops, high end mobiles, etc.

About being touched, I am not sure whether you are referring to beggar children trying to gain your attention. This has happened to me in the Colaba area. It is just that they do not know that it might freak you out and are simply trying to gain your attention. A wag of the finger signalling "no" should get your message across. It is not as if this is going to happen all the time, if at all. It should not be enough to ruin your trip. You are not going to catch some disease from a simple touch. I know it could freak one out if unprepared, but please just take it in your stride.

Brookline...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Thank you all for the information and I will look further into these forum. And I am not worried about kids trying to get my attention I was saying that I read about men trying to touch on the female. I have 3 kids of my own n I know how kids are lol. But I am really excited about going to India and you are all helping me feel comfortable about it now. And yes we will be going in Feb - March 2013 . I am feeling welcome already. I would like to visit Taj Mahal and will look into some information on that.

Barbara

Mumbai
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Hi Barbara,

Please do not worry, am so sure you would have a great time and a memorable experience in our country. We have so many women travelers coming down and they travel very comfortably. All you need to do is book your package with a reliable tour operator who would advise you a suitable package and take care of all your arrangements across India. These agencies have reliable chauffeurs, representatives and guides in each city who are there to take care of you at every step. A well planned and organized tour will keep you relaxed, safe and comfortable.Mumbai is one of the safest cities in India. Just stay calm and confident, and you'll not find any difficulty.

You can see the Taj Mahal at Agra as a part of 'The Golden Triangle' tour that comprises of Delhi-Agra-Jaipur. Depending on the duration that you are looking at, you can get a package tailor-made. For instance if you start your tour at Mumbai, you can take the following route Mumbai - by flight to Jaipur - Agra - Delhi - Mumbai. Such a plan is good for a duration of 8 days with 2 nights at each city. Similarly, you can have various options of itineraries.

Happy Planning !

Best Regards,

Anushka

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

I am sorry but I don't agree completely with the above post. You don't HAVE to book a travel agency. You can do it all on your own too.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Anushka,

You seem to be suggesting that to be comfortable and safe, one needs to book a package through a travel agency. I found my way around Mumbai by myself when it was an unfamiliar city.

I think that Kolkata and Mumbai are two cities which are quite easy to get around on one's own.

Barbara, I will draw your attention to the FAQ at the right top of this page "Is Mumbai a Must See". There are lots of ideas and opinions in there.

Brookline...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

Thank you all for your information. I will be looking threw everything.

Barbara

Brookline...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Mumbai bur very nervous and excited

We are both very excited to go to Mumbai and we are very happy to get all the information that anyone and everyone can give us.

Barbara