We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Hoping travelers from IL see this and reply. Two things: I am wondering about the best route from Chicago and.....

My main concern is how challenging the road is up to the mountain. I called the Park and was told it twists and turns a lot. I deal with vertigo issues so was wondering how bad it really is. I certainly don't want to set anything off as I never know how something will affect me. I HOPE this is the only place if we drive there we have to deal with mountainous rds.

We are invited to a wedding there and another in FL-I had decided on the State Park wedding as would be something different and the place is beautiful. But now, I am undecided. We were thinking about flying to AL but there are not too many non-stop flights to either of the airports which are not exactly nearby either.

Weddings are in Oct. Any help with deciding would be appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
6 replies to this topic
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Not challenging..beautiful...you will be fine. Alabama cant be confused with Colorado!

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Colorado
Colorado
United States
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Thanks I am from Florida and have not been back there in a good while. Really difficult having 2 family members/ brother and sister get married a wk apart in two different locations and we live up in Chicago area. Be nice to do both weddings but don't think we can manage that

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

There is an excellent forum called road trips..go there for route

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Thanks again.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Don't know where in FL you are considering, but I would not fret over wiggly roads leading to and inside Guntersville SP. It is a beautiful area, and you'll see some nice views on the way from Huntsville, but it's not what we think of as the "mountainous region"- no major mountain "range". That said, if your sensitive to rides that aren't flat, I imagine this would be a mild (at worst) concern that can be remedied with a little planning and a stop at Walgreen's.

October is very nice weather in North AL but possibly a wee bit early for peak of colors in the forests. If it's late Oct you may get lucky.

There aren't many, but there ARE non stops from Chi to Huntsville (HSV), and it is right at a 1 hour drive to Guntersville. That said the HSV airport is very easy, medium sized, and you have your bags & rental car and out of there MUCH quicker than either of your major airports, and the easy (lack of traffic) drive will seem like nothing compared to Chi.

The BHM airport is about 30-40 miles further, and only a little bigger than Huntsville, but may have more fares and schedule to close from. Again, a pleasant drive.

Have a good trip

KM

Mentioned in this post
Arab, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to

Hi. The best route from The Windy City is I65 to Huntsville. Exit at I565. From Huntsville take US431 to Guntersville. The road to the state park is just south of downtown (AL227) . It has a few curves but not enough that I think it would bother you. Especially because you will be going slow. Not a lot of curves anywhere else on the entire route. Enjoy the trip and keep an eye out for the eagles and deer around the park.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Lake Guntersville State Park -roads leading to
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guntersville