We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report!

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report!

Hi guys,

I got back last Friday from my 3 week trip to Goa. I can say that I have caught the Goan bug and can't wait to return hopefully next March!

Me and OH stopped at the Mira Hotel in Calangute. Great little hotel and location perfect. I have just wrote a review for the Mira hotel which should be uploaded in the next couple of days here on TA.

As I said the location was great for where we stayed. If you went left at the roundabout it took you to the steps onto Calangute beach. Go straight over it took you to Baga, go right and there were loads of shops and restaurants.

Calangute beach was as I expected, busy and noisy, but this didn't put me off. Walk either side of the beach for 5-10mins and it gets quieter. We used Domat beach shack. Go left once you get onto Calangute beach and it's a 10 min walk if that. Mainly English who use this shack, a lot who went were from the Mira hotel! Great food. Never had a bad meal and everything was cooked from fresh. Hilda and Joseph who run the shack are great people. They make an effort to get to know you and look after you very well while you're there. Neria one of the helpers on the shack is brilliant. She is such a lovely person and we were really sad when we came to the end of our stay and had to say goodbye to her.

Some of the restaurants in Calangute we tried were Carvahlos, Flavours bar and Plantain Leaf. All great meals and never cost us more than 500rps for two people. If you want English grub go to the log cabin. They do proper battered fish and chips with bread and butter and other traditional English meals.

In regards to trips we did the jungle book tour, which consisted of spice plantation, elephant camp where we stopped in the mud huts. That was definately an experience but wouldn't haven't missed it for the world. We also visited Dudsghar waterfall and on the way back from there we visited a temple and even did a bit of yoga! We also went to the riverbanks where the elephants came to bathe and we we able to wash them.

We did the Saturday night market at Arpora and the Wednesday flea market in Anjuna. Both were great markets and I loved getting stuck into the art of haggling lol.

After going to the flea market we went up to Ashwem beach. Lovely quiet beach and no one trying to sell you stuff. I could've spent a couple of days easily relaxing there!

The weather was great everyday and not a single cloud in sight.

Best holiday I have been on so far. I loved everything about Goa. Not just the weather, the beaches or the fact that everyone is friendly but the hustle and bustle, the beeping of horns and everyone asking "taxi?", the beach sellers who manage to find you wherever you are, the smell and sounds, I loved every bit of it. Now I know why people return year after year!

essex
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report!

What a lovely report. Glad you had such a good time. Lx

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report!

Sunnyplace - great report thank you we are going back to the Mira next Feb after an absence of 10+ years and really looking forward to it. I can't wait to go back to the night market loved it there! Ooooh and the Plantain Leaf for me is heaven being a total veggie I cannot get enough of their Masala Dosa, yum yum thanks again for the report and will be looking out for your review. :o)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report!

An enjoyable and positive report. Glad you had a great time!

north wales
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report!

a nice report thankyou

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
245 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report!

Hi,

Great report, we felt the same after the first time to Goa, back next March can't wait.....Janis

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report!

Another nice report and another Goan convert.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report!

Thanks for your report and really pleased you caught the bug. :-))

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report!

hey sunny place!!

Where did you do the elephant camp touring?

If you could provide more details on that part, It would be so helpful

Sakura

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report!

Dear sakura

One can enjoy elephant ride and elephant bath at spice plantation,Ponda.

They separately charge you for elephant ride and separately for elephant bath.

if u r going for it...please let me know.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report!

I am in Goa from 6th to 15th April!!!

Wil surely visit the spice plantation then!!!

Get answers to your questions about Calangute