We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I successfully left the airport on my layover !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
I successfully left the airport on my layover !

We left the airport ! We had some anxiety wondering if we would be able to leave because of so many reports of people who were not able to leave but I just wanted to put a little hope out there for others that we were able to leave really easily. Our layover was from 6am to 830pm. We were given a yellow arrival card on the plane and filled it out, we exited the plane and went to foreign arrivals and scanned our finger prints and took a photo. (Do NOT go to visa on arrival or to transit passengers if you are hoping to leave the airport) . We continued in towards foreign arrivals but all the way to the right is a line for 144 hours and twov. There is a blue card there you need to fill out before getting in line. We went with these papers and got our stamp and we were out of there ! Took maybe 10 minutes. We had to go to terminal 2 to use an ATM that would use foreign cards and give us cash needed to buy a train ticket. Sorry I can't give more specific details but there are a lot of great posts with step by step details. We tried telling our airline at check in that we wanted to go out and she said that wasn't necessary. Hope it goes that smooth for everyone else !

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,825 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

Thanks for reporting back. Good news. So your layover was for about 14 hrs.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

Good to hear.

2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

Thank you! I hope my experience in a few weeks goes this way.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

Rachel B, let us know, how was it

Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

Did you have to pull out your luggage as the TWOV website says?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

No it was checked through all the way to our final destination

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
178 reviews
7. Re: I successfully left the airport on my layover !

Did you get the Line 2 to nanjing Rd east to see the bund? Was that a direct metro from the airport and back?

Great to hear that you got out, we are hoping too.

When you returned to the airport for your flight, did you already have your boarding pass to go though departures?

Reply to: I successfully left the airport on my layover !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted