We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
110 reviews
Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

Ok this is a long shot......some years ago I ate Sichuan beef at a restaurant where we sat outside ‘Mediterranean cafe’ style. There were several restaurants in a row, near a mall or cinemas, touristy area, in central shanghai. I would love to find it again ! Does anyone have any clues please?

Why? Because I had beef which numbed my mouth and lips and was easily the most memorable dish I have ever eaten!

6 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

Could it be around Xintiandi? I don't remember a sichuan restaurant, but other Chinese restaurants can make sichuan dishes too. There is a Yunnan restaurant called Mystic South. Yunnan cuisine is also quite spicy.

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
270 posts
246 reviews
2. Re: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

Mauruya sichuan restaurant is just right next to KABB terrace on Xintiandi. Possibly that.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
77 posts
1,421 reviews
3. Re: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

I was thinking Maurya also but it is really not hard core Sizhuan, the real stuff which is hard to find in Shanghai would really blow you away. YuXinChuanCai (Zhao Shang Ju) - one of the better Sichuan places in town in my opinion, big large Sizhuan restaurant, English menu but won’t be as cosy and cool as Maurya.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
579 reviews
4. Re: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

>>"Why? Because I had beef which numbed my mouth and lips and was easily the most memorable dish I have ever eaten!"

Sounds like you got an introduction to the famous Sichuan "ma-la" taste experience. 川菜麻辣味道

Many small restaurants put tables on the sidewalk at peak mealtimes, then take them in when the rush is over. True all over China.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 04:32
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

Unless it's in a courtyard, I don't recall seeing a restaurant with tables on the sidewalk in Shanghai, except some boutique shops serving Western food or fast-food joints.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
579 reviews
6. Re: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables

Hmm. Yes, I'm wrong. What I said does not apply to Shanghai. Saw lots of restaurants like that in Sichuan, including Chengdu, and got my wires crossed, giving you a bad answer. Apologies for that.

Reply to: Looking for a Sichuan restaurant with outside tables
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted