We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

I will travel with 2 children and 2 elderly parents next week. Did research in TA and our itinerary is as follows: 1N Shanghai-(train)1N Suzhou-(cab or bus)1N Wuzhen-(cab or bus)2N Hangzhou-(train)1N Shanghai. Initially I planned to take train fr Shanghai to Suzhou but we are a bit unsure after we heard horrible stories from my parents' friends. Besides trouble with luggages , the trains were too crowded and sometimes seats were not available with valid tickets. I am not sure if it happened recently or years ago. Will appreciate suggestions and the best way to get the tickets.

5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Now trains near shanghai is the high speed train, the most comfortable bullet train. Do not take many luggages you can leave at shanghai hotel if you last leg is shanghai. Book train tickets at www.chinatraintickets.net and buy first class seat will be much better than second.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Your stories must be outdated years ago, China has among the best and Malaysia comfortable high speed trains, at least shanghai,suzhou and hangzhou train stations are as modern as the airport and the seats are more comfortable and leg room is better than the aeroplane The speed is the best the in the world, tickets booking s are strictly controlled in these trains so feel free and save to experience among the best trains trains in the world

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Error typing please ignore the word Malaysia in my above reply.somehow this word just creep in from nowhere haha

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

i dont really see the difference between first class and second class for such a short trip of 30 min, maybe the seat is softer???? for longer trip the first class might make you more comfortable since the seats are slightly bigger.

if you think the train is not save you can do: private car from shanghai - suzhou - wuzhen -hangzhou, then train back to shanghai.

to be honest, i dont recommend for car from hangzhou -shanghai , 3 hours on the way was such a painful experience for me. it only take 45 min by fast train!

just did a check about the train price on that website mentioned by one reply, normally it is around 100 for second class and around 160 chinese yuan for first class, let's say 16USD and 26USD....so that price on that website is way too much

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Thanks guys. Train is definitely the best choice fr Shanghai to Suzhou and fr Hangzhou to Shanghai. How do I calculate the travelling time starting from our hotel SSAW and arriving at Suzhou? What is the best way to purchase the tickets without showing up at the station with all the luggages and will probably have to wait a few hours there for our available train? And at reasonable price?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

better to get the train tickets in advance, ask your hotel to do it, but they will need your passport copy for the registration of your train tickets.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Shall I pick D or G train to Suzhou railway, considering that the journey starting from our lodging close to Yuyuan?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

doesn't matter which one you pick since both of them have the options in shanghai railway station and shanghai hongqiao railway station. your hotel is close to shanghai railway station, so you just need to choose the D or G train from this station to suzhou.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

If you dont mind spending more then take the G trains as they are much faster.The G train rides averaging about 35-40 minutes.,to Suzhou main railway station from Shanghai main railway station.Journey is even shorter from Hongqiao but its not practical for you as you need to spend another half hour on metro ride or taxi ride from your hotel to Hongqiao.,at a high taxi cost fo 80Rmb.

So practical G trains from Shanghai main railway station as your hotel is not too far from it either by taxi or the metro.

ManyG trips in a day ,departing almost every 15-30 mins.

Get the hotel concierge to get the tickets for you,just need the photostat copy of your passport.,and the commission they charge varies from hotels to hotels ,some as low as 5Rmb/ticket to 10Rmb.

G trains first class has much more legroom and spacious seats evn more than the first class plane tickets but the economy class are actually good enough too.Besides the journey time is very short.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best transportation to Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Shanghai

Thank you so much for your invaluable advice. Next fr Suzhou to Wuzhen. I have yet decided to take taxi or bus. Which option do you guys recommend considering I have old couple in their 70s and 2 kids in our party? We are staying overnight at the guesthouse.