We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long, thin black snake in our kitchen

Grecia, Costa Rica
1 post
long, thin black snake in our kitchen

My wife and I returned from grocery shopping, and on the kitchen floor was a black snake, about 1/2 inch thick and easily two feet long. Before I could react, it slithered under the stove. I pulled the drawer out, but the snake was gone. We have a nice house, but nothing fits tightly- the walls are sort of plumb and the floors somewhat level, so there are plenty of places for the snake to get in or out. Should we be worried about poison? We're just going on with our lives.

4 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
78,947 posts
143 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: long, thin black snake in our kitchen

Sounds like a kind of popular snake NO dangerous...we call them MICAS COLLAREJAS...amybe is the one!

roadadvisor

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: long, thin black snake in our kitchen

If it was a Mica you would also find it as the Tiger Rat Snake and they eat venomous snakes…so, good to have around.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
78,947 posts
143 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: long, thin black snake in our kitchen

You are so right GECKO as always...they eat other snakes...birds...mouses...etc...nice to have them around but hopefully at your neigbors house!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
31 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: long, thin black snake in our kitchen

It does sound like a Mica, but just be careful going around barefoot especially at night until it has gone or you're sure it has. Life in the tropics - never a dull moments!

Reply to: long, thin black snake in our kitchen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grecia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.