We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

First time visitors with our 10 year old son and I am trying to decide between the Miravalles Volcano and natural spa hike vs the 2 hour Rincon de la Viejo hike and waterfall. They seem similar, so which would you choose and why?

We already have the Palo Verde Boat Tour scheduled

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,015 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

There are multiple hikes & waterfalls at Rincon de la Vieja. Since clearly you are looking at organized tours, it would help if you could provide the links so we understand exactly what’s offered. All I can add at this point is that the area around Miravalles sees far fewer tourists and is a little further from the coast.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,581 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

Great advice by CRAFN as always,,,love Miravalles but of course more tours in Rincon...of course more people...but also more fun

roadadvisro

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

Miravalles The tour includes: Transportation, bilingual tour guide, drinks on the cooler, entrance to the waterfalls, horseback riding or tractor ride, hiking on the rain forest, lunch, steam room, volcanic mud bath, and Hot Springs

vs

Rincon de la Viejo A brisk walk will take you deep inside the forest, where you will see the volcanic activity as fumaroles and boiling mud road. Wildlife is also important, several mammals such as howler monkeys, and coatis are very common in this National Park.

Thisoption would be for two hours and thirty minutes, where you could see the volcanic activity as fumaroles, boiling water, volcanic mud, at very high temperatures.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,015 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

OK You’re doing the Las Pailas trail inside Rincon de la Vieja national park. It’s a good 2 mile loop tour past boiling mud, fumaroles and related stuff. No waterfall when we were last there at the end of dry season but in rainy season there is a small waterfall along the trail. Frankly I didn’t think much of this hike but I’m biased because I frequently get to visit Yellowstone. I enjoyed the much longer hike to the La Cangrejas waterfall but that would take more than 2.5 hours roundtrip.

I don’t know where the Miravalles tour is actually going. It’s clearly not inside the national park. I thought it might be a daytrip to Rio Perdido on the shoulder of Miravlles but it’s not from the description. The west side of Miravalles is really dry tropical forest and, while it’s beautiful in it’s own way, it doesn’t feel anything like a rainforest with its dense emerald canopy.

Frankly neither trip particularly appeals to me. Once you are in country I would look into tours to Hacienda Guachipelin right outside the boundaries of Rincon de la Vieja. Their one-day nature & adventure pass includes zipline, horseback ride, tubing and hot springs. See https:/…one-day-adventure-nature-pass.html for more info. Should be easy to book locally.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

I'm not sure Hacienda Guachipelin would be a good fit (too much activity vs viewing nature). Do you think we would be better served taking the Heliconia Rain Forest and hanging bridge tour with a stop at the Finca Verde Farm, Llanos del Cortes Waterfall and hike to see sloths?

Thank you very much for your responses

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,581 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin is in a HUGE farm...of course hard to imposible to guarantee any wild life...but is possible.

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,015 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo

If you’re interested in hiking and wildlife, this last option to Heliconias is a good bet. Heliconias Lidge is just outside Bijagua and we saw puma travks when hiking their trails. Llanos de Cortez is a beautiful waterfall & if you bring swimsuits you can swim in the shallow pool below the falls.

Reply to: Miravalles vs Rincon de la Viejo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Guanacaste