We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

My flight arrives in LIberia at 1pm. Would this be too late to make it to Arenal before dark?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

Are you shuttling, self driving, or walking? You have plenty of time to get to Arenal/La Fortuna. Darkness falls approximately at 6PM.

Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,001 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

Dear red...

If you leave LIR around 2pm...you will be around Tabacon at 5:30Pm...and to La Fortuna maybe around 6pm...it gets really dark around 6:15PM

My humble opinion based on my daily drives around my country...I will said that is enough time...and you will be by the Arenal Dam by 5:30PM

Sorry I´m not good with driving links!

roadadvisor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

check

www.timeanddate.com for accurate sun times around the world

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

I think this drive time estimate site still works:

yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

I just checked some of the times on the site the previous posters suggested and it does seem accurate. I also used the google maps app on my ipad and it was very close as well. They seem to be basing times on a 60kph average which is about the best that you will do even on a "highway"

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

It is all pretty well signed and marked, No worries, it is a beautyful drive, I am sure you will love it, if you need any Ideas of how to enjoy La fortuna area and see some of the non so commercial spots I would be more than pleased to give you some Ideas, there are plenty of nice things to see and do here that one does not have to pay for, just need the right guidance.

Pura Vida from C.R.

7. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 01:35
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
8. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

You should be in Arenal very close to the time it gets dark by 6pm. No worries you will be fine. If it gets dark just drive slower and you should be ok. have a great trip!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

It not late to drive to Arenal

1 post
10. Re: Driving from Liberia to Arenal? How early does it get dark?

All things being normal you should be fine. In Costa Rica nothing is normal and that's what is great about CR. I drove the route yesterday and in the middle of the trip they shutdown the road so they move farm equipment from one farm to another about 1 mile away. Not a big problem but some of the flavor of the country.