We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

Duluth, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

Hi there! We are looking forward to our first trip to Costa Rica. It will be my husband and me and 4 kids aged 10-15. We are going over Easter week and I know everything will be very crowded. We currently have reservations at Tabacon but I am worried about the crowds. I checked and I can get something at The Springs but I heard the hot springs aren't as nice and it is farther away from town. Any opinions as to which would be best for us? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

The Springs is a very luxurious resort and I expect you would find the accommodations far more appealing. There have been recent reports from guests not happy about the quality of the food there. It is off the main road and will add 20 minutes each way to excursions, trips into La Fortuna or meals off the resort. The hot springs there are usually not crowded (although I expect that week might be different) and there is a river for kayaking. The hot springs reportedly are warm, not "hot" and while beautifully landscaped they are surrounded by fiberglass "rocks" - a little more Disney than Costa Rica. If the quality of the accommodations is your top critieria this should be your 1st choice.

Far and away the best thing about Tabacon Resort is the free access to their hot springs. The hot springs and the grounds are gorgeous and there are a large number of pools, some large some very small to explore. The place is overrun with tourists most evenings and many people find the crowds off-putting. Not as crowded in the mornings and early afternoons. great place to hang out if it's raining. It is clearly the most beautiful and largest hot springs in the area. If you stay at Tabacon Resort you can visit the hot springs at any time, however the hot springs have a separate entrance and are not in the middle of the hotel grounds if that matters. The children must be accompanied at the hot springs at all times. You can't send the 15 year old over to hang out according to their rules. Easier to check out other restaurants nearby and less travel time for excursions. Probably a better choice if you plan to eat out and go exploring on excursions most days.

I am assuming since you've limited yourself to these 2 hotels you plan to use the hot springs every day, otherwise there are better choices of accommodations.

Have you also looked at Los Lagos which is not nearly as luxurious as The Springs but is well set up for families, has hot springs and has extensive grounds and activities onsite? It is located on the main road and a favorite for families because of its hot springs, pools, canopy tour, frog farm, butterfly garden, resident crocodile, hiking trails and spa. They also have an onsite restaurant. While their hot springs are lovely they are not as extensive as those at Tabacon or The Springs.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 11:12
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

Excellent answer as always from CRfan... I will quickly throw my hat in for Tabacon over The Springs. Tabacon IMO is by far the nicest of the springs up that way. It will be a bit crowded, but Easter week everything will be, it's unavoidable.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

YES...I will rather go to Tabacon than Springs Resort...

Tabacon is more natural...no fake at all...nice place!

roadadvisor.

Nice, France
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

I got back yesterday from CR. Spent the last 2 days near La Fortuna and went to Tabacòn twice. I am not objective because I did not see The Springs but I definitely suggest not changing your reservation. They are definitely full for Easter week, but it will be the same anywhere you go since it is the busiest time of the year (literally since most of the Ticos take that week off too.)

The restaurant is very nice and the springs are dreamy!

Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

The Springs is a much niccer and much more luxurious resort than Tabacon, and it is a lot less crowded than Tabacon. The Springs is just an amaizing place, their hot springs are also great.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

The springs at Tabacon are definitely more natural and appealing for adults, but they are across the road from the hotel so not as user friend for children. The rooms and food are both better at the Springs but who is going to eat all their meals at the hotel anyway. Both Hotels are very expensive. If I were going for romance it would be a tossup between the two. If going with kids I would look at Los Lagos and if it was unavailable I would choose the Springs.

7. Re: Where to stay? Tabacon vs The Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...