We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

Which Bagaces hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Placerville...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

Hi

We are traveling to CR at the beginning of May and are interested in going to Rio Celeste. We are spending 3 nights in Arenal (Arenal Observatory) and two nights in LA Fortuna/Monteverde (haven't picked a hotel yet). Is Rio Celeste closer to Arenal or La Fortuna? How far is it?

thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

You can see it from Arenal, but not Monteverde.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

first you let me clarify... La Fortuna is the bigger town close to the Arenal Volcano... not to Monteverde, so you should "associate" La Fortuna with Arenal and not Monteverde. Monteverde is in fact in the Province of Puntarenas. Just for you to know

As for Rio Celeste, from these two locations, you could do the tour out of La Fortuna / Arenal area, but it is a full day tour and cost will be somewhere around the $ 85 USD - $ 100 per person depending on the tour companies offering it. I am not sure whether the weather in May could affect the operation of the tour

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

www.arenal.net/tour/rio-celeste-volcano-hike/

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

www.ruralcostarica.com

good info for you

best to go from Arenal/LF usually

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

The Rio Celeste is located in the Tenorio National Park on the opposite side of Tenorio Volcano from Arenal. It is definitely easier to get to from La Fortuna/Arenal area than from Monteverde. There are two ways to get there: Go north to Upala and then south to the Park entrance or go south to Canas and then north to the Park entrance - the Upala route is a little shorter. Once you turn onto the road to the Park, it is several kilometers on a gravel road to the parking lot and from there you hike to the Rio Celeste. It is a great adventure with a gorgeous waterfall, the blue river and some hot springs you can soak in to say nothing of the beauty of the National Park. If you are renting a car, you can easily go by yourself. If not, I would recommend one of the guides from www.ruraltourism.com which is the website of a women's group in Guatuso. I live near the 18,000 hectare Tenorio National Park and the whole area is really beautiful.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

Sorry - just one more thing - you have posted this question on the La Fortuna de Bagaces forum. There are two La Fortunas not far from each other: One is the La Fortuna de Bagaces near Miravalles Volcano, north of Bagaces and the other is La Fortuna which is near Arenal Volcano.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

On my behalf Hattie, thanks for the wonderful info!

It seems the women's group of Rural Costa Rica do a wonderful, empowering job! It is really great.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

Oops - I gave the wrong website - it's www.ruralcostarica.com

Nebraska
Level Contributor
316 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

Hi Hattie,

We're planning to hike Rio Celeste on our own as a day trip from La Fortuna and I'm looking into how to get there. You recommend going through Upala and down to the entrance at Bijuagua, but on the ruralcostarica website it recommends going to Guatuso and says there is a park entrance near there (it does mention something about 2006 prices in the same paragraph, so the info may be old). Are there different trails that lead to the waterfall? If not, approximately how long does the drive from La Fortuna to Bijagua take? Also, is it safe for us to park our rental car near the trailhead? Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rio Celeste- from Arenal or Monteverde?

There is another entrance near Guatuso but the road is not always in good shape and on occasion, downright impassable Today, for instance, we've had quite a bit of rain which will make many of these non-paved roads very tricky. If you go from Arenal to the Park via Upala, it is 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours, depending on traffic, etc. You turn off the main highway (highway 6) to the Park which is about 12 km from the main highway and you can park in the parking lot at the Park headquarters. Your car should be safe there but do hide anything you leave in the car just to be on the safe side.