We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Hey gang,

My lady and I are spending the last days of our vacation in Samara and I was wondering how much time I should allow for the return trip to the San Jose airport. We'll be driving a small rental car and need to factor the return into our schedule.

Thanks in advance for your help!

D.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

You're looking at around a 4-hour drive back to Alajuela, on a clear road with an early start. However, its highly recommended to stay near the airport for your last night, to minimize unexpected problems on the road, delays and stress!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,000 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Agreed with Diver...even that the road from Samara to Nicoya and then to San Jose is in good condition...is a lot better to spend the night around SJO...it is a kind of a long drive...and any accident can and will delay you...

roadadvisor

Edited: 12 December 2010, 12:39
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Totally agree with the above. Always better to stay the night before near the airport. You just never know!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Alright. As much as I know I'm going to hate leaving Samara a night early, it does make a lot of sense. Can anyone recommend a place in San Jose near the airport that would make for a fitting last night?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Depends on what you are looking for. Near the center of town where you can walk around, shop, go to the bank, etc - Hotel Los Volcanes. Outside of town in the hills, Orquideas Inn, Pura Vida Hotel, Hotel Buena Vista. Close to the airport - Hotel Casa Antigua. Casa Antigua is very close to the airport, Hotel Los Volcanes about 7-10 minutes away - the others no more than 20 minutes.

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Stayed in Samara the last night before leaving a couple trips ago and I had no problem getting to the airport on time- I actually had to stall and stop at a lot of shops b/c I was too early. But I left at 7:30 AM and my flight was 3:30PM- took less than 4 hours. If you have a late flight like that, you would have no problem. But if you don't want to risk it, the Holiday Inn Express is right next to the airport and has a shuttle to the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,000 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

Hotel El Aeropuerto...

And for simple place 3 minutes from SJO...aeropuertohostel@hotmail.com

roadadvisor

California
6 posts
8. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

There are a lot of small hotels around Alejuela that sort of specialize in people spending their first and last nights in Costa Rica. Usually you can have your rental car picked up there and arrange transportation to the airport. We are going to use a place called Milenium II this trip. Haven't used it before, however.

9. Re: Driving time from Samara to San Jose Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 02:41