We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several Questions

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
Several Questions

We will be in Tamarindo February and March and would like to know if the restaurants an grocery stores post prices in US dollars or colones.

Is it expensive to eat out

What is the prices if beer and rum in the grocery stores

I look forward to any replies. My thanks

22 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Several Questions

The restaurants normally have their prices in USD unless it's a local "soda"

The grocery stores have their prices in colones

Eating out is not cheap but there are places like El Mercadito which is a food court with many kiosks where you can eat with $10

The cost of beer and rum is similar to the US

If you want to read a Tamarindo blog with many tips I recommend this one

http://vacationrentalsoftamarindo.com/blog/

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Several Questions

Thank you

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
3. Re: Several Questions

When we visited Tamarindo, we found we could have never used Colones at all if we had chosen not to. Almost everything was priced in $$$. I do think eating out is just a tiny bit pricy. However, I'm sure you could find sodas, etc that are cheaper if you tried. It's a very touristy town.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Several Questions

If you take into acct the CAD / US rate and the prices at home, you might find CR expensive. There are ways to do things in a less expensive way, but it is not inexpensive.

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Several Questions

Thank you for the replies. We have a condo with a full kitchen so will be eating in but was curious on the dollar. I will make sure I have the correct funds and I see a lot of places do take credit cards/debit which will also help

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Several Questions

This blog is fantastic, thanks

Edited: 01 October 2018, 18:07
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
70 reviews
7. Re: Several Questions

See https:/… about money in CR.

Cooking some of own meals should help, but when you do decide to eat out, you may want to check out the reviews of the many places to eat in that area. You can filter them by various criteria on the left of the screen, incl. by Prices (cheap/mid-range/fine dining): https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g309… .

A few dining places are described in this Tamarindo article (you may want to read the QAs at the end, too)- https:/… .

When we went shopping for groceries in CR, we used CRC, it just made sense to us vs worrying about the varied exchange rates potentially applied by each vendor. Basically, if the price is displayed in CRC, pay in colones. Beware that some ATMs, depending on the local bank, limit the amount of currency, in US or in CRC, which it dispenses with each transaction, but might allow two consecutive transactions (two or more? We had to do two.), if you need to withdraw a bigger amount.

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Several Questions

Thank you

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
771 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Several Questions

Bring US Dollar and exchange into colones at the bank upon arrival. Then you don't have to worry about exchange rates. You can use USD just about anywhere but you'll get back your change in Colones. Some vendors rip you off on the exchange rate. The rule of thumb would be - if the bill is in dollars pay in dollars. If it's Colones, then pay in Colones. Watch out for restaurant specials. Taco Tuesdays, Wing Night etc.

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Several Questions

Thank you

Reply to: Several Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted