We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Topic
Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

I am currently in Tamarindo right now for the first time. I love it but I am a little concerned. I have heard from multiple locals that there is a massive outbreak of Dengue fever occurring currently. I did a search on the site and I have seen no mention of it? I have been taking the advice of wearing pants at night and insect repellant but that has not 100% stopped all bites. Anyone have any insight on this?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

Wearing long clothes at night will help protect you from bites but the mosquito that carries dengue bites in the daytime. Be sure to regularly apply insect repellent when outdoors. The higher the deet percentage, the longer it lasts so lower percentages need to be reapplied more often and apply it to your clothing as well. This, along with long clothing will go a long way in protecting you.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 06:47
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

I just got back from a week there and whenever I'm at the beach I don't walk out the door without putting my repellent on. I've found that the OFF lotion I tend to cover my body better than the spray because you can miss spots. I wore shorts, flip flops and tank tops all day and night so just reapply. I always carry the single-use OFF wipes in case I need more and don't have the large bottle with me...it's helped me out many times. Enjoy your time there!!!

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

I'll just clear a couple of things up. First of all, Tamarindo is the most gossipy town I've ever been to. One person gets dengue and suddenly there's an "outbreak", or someone gets a headache and its dengue. I'm not saying it isn't going around, its just blown out of proportion. Secondly, dengue is really only an issue during the rainy season, which is right now, so if you're going August-November, be even more sure to put on repellant. The odds of getting it are extremely slim and its rarely life threatening, it just sucks to be super sick for a couple of weeks.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

This year has been one of the worst on record for Dengue cases, some areas are hit harder than others but there has been a decline in recent weeks. Dengue occurs yearly and normally is not an issue, every few years there is a spike in cases like we had this year. Next year will likely have very few cases and the "outbreak" is winding down for the year as it coincides with the rainy season.

Wear repellent, works like a charm, IMO no worries.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

Last I heard, there were some 39,000 cases out of a population of more than 4 million. Does this sound like something to freak out about?

Just wear repellent as others have suggested.

For your hotel room, you can buy at any supermarket a plug-in device that is like an air freshener but has mosquito repellent instead in the insert. You can also buy mosquito coils to burn outside your room so that none of the little darlings sneak into your room when the door is opened.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

Hattie is right on the money with 39,000 cases, which means that even in a bad year like we had this year, only 1% of the population has been affected. Again, no worries... I have lived here over 15 years and never had it. Have a blast on vaca.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

We were concerned about this deciding to go to Costa Rica- Tamarindo. However, in perspective and research you will find that only a couple people die from this each year in CR (a country of over 4 million). 10 people died in Calgary, Canada (1 Million Pop.) from flu season this year - Despite the massive number of shots given each year. 3500 death in Canada are attributed to flu annually (35 million people). We decided to live our lives and Travel. By the way, late stage clinical trials are on for Dengue vaccines. If you want to see mosquitoes come to Alberta Canada. Everyone goes crazy about bug spray and west Nile virus...It does happen, and you should take reasonable precaution...But...live your life!. I bet you are far more likely to get hurt in an accident...watch out for the Huge Potholes in Costa Rica...AND Edmonton too..... Our Roads Suck!

Edited: 30 April 2014, 00:53
8. Re: Dengue Fever outbreak in Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo