We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

We're ending our trip with 2 nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch. (Our flight is early, so the two nights are to ensure that we get in one "breakfast with the babies.") We're going to do the tour of the ranch on our first day since we're arriving mid-morning. That leaves us with a full day after breakfast with the babies to entertain ourselves in the area.

Are there things to do near TRR to fill the day? Or should we think about booking a tour to somewhere close by or taking a cab into San Jose that day? (We are 2 adults and a 4 year old).

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
266 reviews
1. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

We only stayed one night and really enjoyed it. There's not really a lot to do in the area. It's kind of a residential spot which surprised us. The owner had takeout menus you could order from and said we could do that for dinner so we had ours delivered. What we had was really good, fresh, and delicious. I believe the Sibu chocolate tasting tour is very close by, so that would be a good option for you. The tour of the facility itself takes about two hours; they have nearly 150 animals on site that you get to see - if there are birds nesting/laying eggs, they'll ask you not to go near those animals, but you can get very close to the others. No touching since they want the wildlife to remain wild for release. The breakfast with the babies is awesome.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,255 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

Hummm depends when you arrive…maybe one night is enough.

roaddvisor

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

Thanks for your thoughts! We're definitely doing 2 nights. (Our second morning, we're going to be taking our breakfast to go and heading to the airport. So really, we're there one and a half days). We're all booked and our trip is less than 3 weeks away.

Volcanogirl, I actually booked TRR after you recommended it to someone else with small children. We would not have known about it otherwise and it seems like a perfect stop for my son -- so thank you for that. (We've been drilling him that you don't touch wild animals, so hopefully he won't be too disappointed that he can't hug the babies and give them all little sloth heart attacks).

It sounds like I should come up with some ideas for activities for our second day after breakfast with the babies. Even with the ability to walk around the ranch after the tour, I'm thinking that just looking at the animals won't occupy a full day and a half.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

I think you have the right idea. After lunch the 2nd day you could head up into the hills to LaPaz Waterfall Gardens if you've never benn before. 5 waterfalls and a hummingbird garden among other attractions. The last & largest waterfall you can actually walk behind. You'll need a private driver for this adventure however.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
266 reviews
5. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

I hope you really enjoy it. They do good work there. If the chocolate tour isn't enough, then I think crfan's suggestion is great. Kids love the waterfall gardens; you can handfeed hummingbirds at certain times of day, and they have an aviary and butterfly house. The waterfall hike is very pretty. There's also the Doka Coffee Estate tour and Poas Volcano, although that one is enshrouded in fog pretty frequently.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,255 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

You are more than WELCOME

roadadvisor

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

Thanks for all the great ideas for things to do. Paos would be top of my list, except that I've read that there's almost no chance of seeing it beyond first thing in the morning.

We won't be visiting La Paz at any other point in our trip, so that might be an option. I find myself wondering if we're going to be seeing too many waterfalls on our trip. What a great problem to have. (At 2 and a half weeks out from our trip, my excitement level is super high).

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
266 reviews
8. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

Poas was fogged over when we went, but we lingered around, and it lifted. People actually cheered lol. Seeing too many waterfalls is definitely a good problem to have! You'll have to let me know if the otter has a new house yet; they were fundraising for one the last time I was there.

9. Re: 2 Nights at Toucan Rescue Ranch -- Enough to Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2018, 18:18