We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving in January, Where do I go?

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Moving in January, Where do I go?

Hi, I am moving in January for a 4 month semester at Universidad Latina in Heredia. I have never been to Costa Rica at all. Any advice? I will be coming with my boyfriend and dog. We are in our 30s and looking for a location close to the school. I want to find out all information I can about which neighborhood to rent in, etc. How is the transportation? Would a bike be sufficient? My partner will be flying in and out frequently and will need easy enough acess to the airport. We are not planning on having a car there as we have 3 at home and will still have expenses here. Thank you in advance for any or all assistance!

6 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,432 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Moving in January, Where do I go?

Heredia is not tinny…my best advice….do not rent anything or pay in advance…spend sometime here first shop around and then move.

I m a little concern about the dog even that we love animals ….is not easy to learn how to move around with a dog…

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,001 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Moving in January, Where do I go?

Best would be to ask the school. Or any of the expat forums.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Moving in January, Where do I go?

Thank you

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Moving in January, Where do I go?

Good idea. The school recommends a home stay which would be appropriate if I were a decade younger. I am hoping to find a furnished unit with fast internet under 800$ usd per month. Is that realistic for the area? I'm seeing ridiculous pricing online.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Moving in January, Where do I go?

Why not start with a home stay, then become oriented to the area & rental prices? I think you're much more likely to find something reasonably priced in person than online. I wouldn't feel comfortable renting something found online sight unseen.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Moving in January, Where do I go?

I would visit before the move to locate a place and orient Yourself to neighborhoods close to the University. I think bringing the dog may present more of a challenge than you anticipate. I agree that I also would not feel comfortable renting sight unseen from an online ad, especially should it require sending $ first before arrival. Public transportation is typically much better in Costa Rica than here in the US. I don't think any bus will allow animals.

Reply to: Moving in January, Where do I go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted