We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
285 reviews
Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica and our agent is suggesting a stay at La Quinta Sarapiqui Country Inn and I am wondering on wildlife activities. we are keen photographers and ideally would like to just wonder trails and see what comes to us. We are recommended to stay 3 days but the grounds don't look that big and I am having difficulty in finding information about other trails in the area. I am aware I can book a walk at the Selva Biological station but I get the impression that you can't just walk the trails.We will have a hire car so driving is possible any advice welcome.

thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui

La Selva OST is a must; you do get a guide assign to you but he/she will adapt to your walking (= photography) speed. But you cannot stay inside indefinitely. Another must stop for bird photographers is Nature Pavillion.

You can also hire a local guide, like Alex or Kevi Martinez from Posada Andrea Cristina.

You can also walk many roads in that area, but the problem is, which one?! For rain forest, it is all within someone's boundaries/ownership so paying for the entry ticket, and usually hiring a guide is a must.

In sarapiqui, Selva Verde lodge has better hiking trails, which half of them can be accessed by residents on their own.

Edited: 05 March 2017, 09:00
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
285 reviews
2. Re: Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui

My preference was Selva Verde but was informed it was booked by the agent, will ask again tomorrow.

La Selva OST has accommodation, does that mean if you stay there you can walk their trails without a guide?

Will look at Nature Pavillion, thanks, this will be a real change from Southern Africa!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui

Hmmm, using an agent ... only in Namibia :-)). So try contacting Selva Verde also directly. Do not attempt to stay at La Selva. This is a working biological station, and they do have rooms (or better to say beds) for the guests ... what I have seen back in 2008 was not for usual tourist/visitor. And no, you are not allowed to hike the trails if not part of the on-going research program.

It is a real change, but then, not that much of a change. If you are interested in some first-hand comparisons (and some extra pieces of information about Costa Rica) feel free to send me a PM.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
265 reviews
4. Re: Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui

I agree - if you can get a room at Selva Verde do that, the rooms are comfortable with a nice river that runs through the property. We saw a lot of monkeys, toucans, and nice frogs - poison dart, red-eyed, etc. on the trails. Also saw a kinkajou during a night hike there. I like the rooms back by the river because the front of the property is on a road.

We did a day hike at La Selva with a guide and saw some peccaries, toucans, a fer de lance, etc. Great area.

Reply to: Advice about wildlife activities around Sarapiqui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted